From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to select a directory name.

I need a dialog that will allow me look through my computer and select a directory name only. The file name is automatically generated, I figured this part out.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,672 Views)
You can use File Dialog Function with select mode of 3 (select an existing direcory). Then use the path output to obtain selected directory. Right click on select mode connector terminal and create constant to see all the availble options.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,672 Views)
In the File I/O>Advanced File Functions palette is the File Dialog function. It allows for selection of existing directories. Create a constant for the select mode input (it'll be an enum) and choose "existing dir".
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,672 Views)
Thanks for your answers, but I already found how to use a "File Dialog Function" from looking at other postings. But I guess it's not working the way I am expecting.

I attached a constant to the select mode input and set it to "existing dir" mode 3. Then attached a start path control to the start path.

Now when the dialog opens to select a "directory", I can only select a file. The directory information is in the total file path but I really don't want to select on a file. I need to select a directory and have this information show up. I don't want to see a file name in the final selection.

Any more information?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,672 Views)
At the bottom, right hand side of the dialog box that comes up, there is "Select Cur Dir" button.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,674 Views)
I, too, would like a way to select a directory other than navigating into it, and then using the "Select cur dir" button. This trips up almost every novice user of LabView applications.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,623 Views)