LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need simple example for writing to Excel

I've browsed some of the examples on here of past questions regarding working with Excel, but for some reason I'm unable to open the examples, or they download but are missing a few key sub-VI's when I view them.

What I would like is a very simple example of how to write a chunk of (any kind of) data into a specific cell in Excel.  I'm working with version 7.1
Amateur programmer for over 10 years!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 47
(19,920 Views)
Two questions
  1. What level of LabVIEW do you have?  Base, Professional or Full?
  2. What version of Excel are we talking here?

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 47
(19,902 Views)

1.  I have....ummmm...whatever the guys here gave me to work with.  I think it's the Full System cuz the label on the box of discs says "FDS".

2. Excel 2000.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 47
(19,900 Views)
Several Excel examples in LabView use this tool that I've attached, and when I search my tool palette, I can't find it anywhere. 

Likewise, if I right-click on it and select "Help" it gives me a page saying "This page can not be displayed".  What is this mystery tool??  Why are they hiding it from me??  Who did I upset??  How do I seek forgiveness??

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 47
(19,894 Views)
you should be able to use the example from:

Other than the fact that I have excel 2003, the VI opened fine and when I modified the properties to match the 2003 API, the VI functions fine.  If you are missing things when it opens, please shoot a screen capture and post so we can see what is missing.  It requires the full development package although, to be honest I am not sure why by looking at it.
It was written in 5.1 and I have 7.1.1 Pro

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 47
(19,892 Views)
It is an automation close, although you can substitute the ref num close...hmm I wonder if that is why I have to explicitly close Excel via method node....Even the extended help is broken on it.  But hey, in your luck.  the example I posted does not use it.

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 47
(19,888 Views)

Hello All!

Yes, that VI that is missing in the attached VI is an automation close VI.  This VI was not included in the Functions Palette after LabVIEW version 6.1 (hence you will not be able to search for it in LabVIEW 7.x).  If you have an example that uses it, you should still have it available for use, but you might want to replace it with the "Close Reference" VI which will perform the same action.

Another important question that has not been asked is which OS are you working with?  ActiveX functions are unavailable for any OS that is not Windows.  If your version of LabVIEW is the Full Development System and you are on a Windows machine, you should have no problems with that particular VI unless your installation has some abnormalities.

Thanks for posting, please let us know if you have any other problems with this VI, or if I have not answered your questions completely.

Regards,

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 47
(19,873 Views)
LabVIEW base does not support active X?

Paul
Message 8 of 47
(19,867 Views)

Hello all,

My apologies!!  LabVIEW Base DOES indeed support ActiveX (compare here).

Please let us know if anyone is still unable to locate those VIs listed in the above conversation.

-Again, sorry for any confusion.-

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 47
(19,838 Views)
Here are some vi's that will help you out. Also you can look at an example in  the example finder called write table to excel. If you need any more help just let us know.

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
Message 10 of 47
(19,814 Views)