LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need handheld voltage probe with data entry (similar to bar code scanner)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all, first post here and newish user of LabView.  I am creating a VI to measure legacy equipment that has test points unaccessible with a connector or bed of nails.  Does anyone know of a handheld voltmeter probe that can be used to probe a test point, then have a pushbutton on the probe to enter the value measured as text?  I have not been able to find such a gadget.  The idea came from handheld bar code scanners that have a button to make the scan, and will then enter the scanned value as text into a spreadsheet.  Thanks for all responses.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(127 Views)

I haven't seen anything like that.

But there are multimeters available with communication ports that can be used to get measurements from the instrument. Then you can attach a probe clip to a test point and press a button on the screen to retrieve that measurement.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(114 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MKBNIS

I unfortunately don't know of a turn-key solution, but like RTSLVU said lots of voltmeters have communication options with cables. I have a Fluke one with Bluetooth as well, though I've never tried to interface it with anything except the official phone app.

You could set up a foot switch to take the reading, or just hit the spacebar to capture a measurement. Or a combo of a voltmeter with communications and a wireless slideshow clicker.

If you're handy with a 3D printer, I think I'd try making a housing that holds a slideshow clicker thing and a voltmeter probe, or perhaps a small Arduino clone that reads a handful of buttons in a custom housing that holds the meter probe and sends that to the computer to say "take a reading".

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(92 Views)

In these situations, I typically just trust the technician to take the measurement manually and input it into my software.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(79 Views)

Thanks for the replies everyone, after talking to our manufacturing engineer he said that it would be better to use a footswitch, as manipulating a switch on the probe itself might cause slipping off a pin and causing a short.  There are quite a few suggestions on how to implement a footswitch, so I'll go in that direction.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(40 Views)