LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Package Manager still has issues that can leave your computer unusable!

Setting up a new computer for deployment today starting with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Professional 64bit

The NI Package Manager started installing stuff...

Then I got a bunch of errors about needing Digitally Signed Drivers.

I found this: Windows Requires a Digitally Signed Driver Error When Installing NI Software

But that only covers window 7 and I am running Windows 10.

Then I rebooted and was met with this:

PXL_20220419_155219953.jpg

The ONLY repair that worked was to completely reinstall Windows!

NI still needs to FIX the NI PACKAGE MANAGER!!!

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(702 Views)

Ouch!  When I first installed LabVIEW 2017, and had multiple NIPM errors, I tried to "back out" by removing all NI Software (not realizing that with NIPM, there was only one "correct" way to do this), and managed to corrupt my Windows system (which had several earlier versions of LabVIEW installed).  This led to the infamous "fix" that starts with reformatting the C: drive, installing Windows 10, installing everything else (including my Profile), and reinstalling LabVIEW 2015 and 2016.  I tried, again, to install 2017 (on another computer), and tried (when it failed) to "remove it" more "gracefully".  Another reinstall.

It took me two years before I tried again to install LabVIEW 2017 (and 2018).  I developed a method that seemed to work (for me), installing "slowly" (as I recall doing back in the days of LabVIEW 7), with frequent reboots.  Of course, by that time, some of the "quirks" of NIPM were "improved" ...

LabVIEW installation remains a challenging proposition.  I'm thinking my days of having multiple versions of LabVIEW on a single PC may be at an end.  As it is, I've isolated LabVIEW 2021 to a VM:, and will definitely try LabVIEW 2022 on another VM: before I chance it on my PC's C: drive.  [Did I mention I'd do a full backup beforehand?].

Is NIPM included in the new Subscription?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(622 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Ouch!  When I first installed LabVIEW 2017, and had multiple NIPM errors, I tried to "back out" by removing all NI Software (not realizing that with NIPM, there was only one "correct" way to do this), and managed to corrupt my Windows system (which had several earlier versions of LabVIEW installed).  This led to the infamous "fix" that starts with reformatting the C: drive, installing Windows 10, installing everything else (including my Profile), and reinstalling LabVIEW 2015 and 2016.  I tried, again, to install 2017 (on another computer), and tried (when it failed) to "remove it" more "gracefully".  Another reinstall.

It took me two years before I tried again to install LabVIEW 2017 (and 2018).  I developed a method that seemed to work (for me), installing "slowly" (as I recall doing back in the days of LabVIEW 7), with frequent reboots.  Of course, by that time, some of the "quirks" of NIPM were "improved" ...

LabVIEW installation remains a challenging proposition.  I'm thinking my days of having multiple versions of LabVIEW on a single PC may be at an end.  As it is, I've isolated LabVIEW 2021 to a VM:, and will definitely try LabVIEW 2022 on another VM: before I chance it on my PC's C: drive.  [Did I mention I'd do a full backup beforehand?].

Is NIPM included in the new Subscription?

Bob Schor

NIPM is part of everything  NI distributes now and it the first thing installed when installing anything to do with National Instruments.

Worst part is this was a target machine and I was deploying a LabVIEW executable and required runtime libraries!

Can you imagine if this was a CUSTOMER computer and the program I distributed caused this?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(591 Views)