LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 488.2 and NI VISA where to put them

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner of LabView, I installed the NI 488.2 and NI-VISA, but which folder should I put them? Right now, the LabView still can't recognize the GPIB controller. I need some help!

Any solutions would be appreciated!

Bests,

Chong

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,986 Views)

You should install them to the default locations. You have to install them after installing the LabVIEW development system, otherwise you will not have development support.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,977 Views)

If you are a beginner in LabVIEW, you probably shouldn't be installing LabVIEW (without someone who knows what they are doing guiding you).

It doesn't really make sense to say "I installed NI 488.2 and NI VISA" and ask which folder to put them in.  The "usual" (meaning "the only correct way I know to install LabVIEW" (and I've probably done at least 100 LabVIEW installations over the last 10 years) is as follows:

• I'm going to assume that no LabVIEW has been installed on the computer, and you want to install LabVIEW 2018.
  • Download the appropriate LabVIEW Web Installer.  For a beginner, I strongly recommend installing 32-bit LabVIEW.
  • Start the Web Installer.  Choose LabVIEW and VIPM (the defaults in the first Tab).  For now, don't choose any other options except the last category, Device Drivers (I'm not 100% certain of the name, but it's definitely the last choice).
  • From here, install System Configuration, NI-488.2 (but only if you are using a GBIP device), NI-DAQmx, and NI-VISA.  You should not need NI-Serial (VISA should take care of this).
  • Let the Installer decide where to install the files!
  • You'll need an Account with NI and an NI License number to proceed.

If you have already installed LabVIEW and did it some other way, you may need to uninstall it.  This can be a little complicated -- best to find your local LabVIEW Guru and ask for assistance.

Bob Schor

Message 3 of 3
(1,961 Views)