From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing encoder data

Hello,

I am trying to hook up a pulse counter to measure RPM.  I have one channel of a quadrature encoder hooked up to a USB cDAQ-9172.  Everything seems to work OK except once every second or so (I'm reading the encoder at 4 hz) read vi returns zero counts.  This is also the case when I use the example counter input VIs from NI. 

I seem to be having the same problem as described in this thread, but I didn't see any solutions.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to a scope.

TIA,

Tom

Thomas Lentzner - CLD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,315 Views)

I solved my own problem.  After I posted this to the forum, I discovered that the CPU usage on the computer that is running this program was at 85% - 100% CPU usage.  I went through and wiped out all the unneeded (several anti-virus, windows messenger, real player(!), ect) software with great prejudice, and now the CPU usage is ~30%. I haven't had any problems since.

Tom 

Thomas Lentzner - CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,287 Views)