LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making the move to vista

I am making the move to VISTA on my primary development machine.  I develope in LV 7.1 8.0 and 8.21 concurently.  Is there any issues to be aware of?  Many clients will still run the software on XP and a few on 2000.  Will daqMX and Labview compiled programs work seamlessly.  I would like to hear about similar experiences so I can mentally prepare for the troubles ahead, or not if we are all lucky.  I gave it 6 months.  I have not found any issues yet but have not distribudet my code to cilents either.  Have I made a mistake?

Paul
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,585 Views)

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,565 Views)

I just sent out my first code compiled on vista and It froze on an XP machine.  I can not reproduce the freezing on my vista box.  I compiled with LV 8.21 on vista.  There was nothing particularly complex about the code, some simple GUI event driven model and the user reported no keyboard or mouse not even able to ctrl-alt-delete.  Are there known issues with swithcingOS?

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,552 Views)
Cold shivers on the back of many developers... Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by pincpanter on 07-13-2007 03:28 PM

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,540 Views)
Paul:

Try using WinXP SP2 compatibility mode on the Vista box. Use the same executable, but right click on the exe >> properties >> compatibility >> set the drop down to WinXP SP2 and run it. If this works on the dev box, you probably going to have to enable debugging on the executable to see what stops working on your target.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,536 Views)
Hi Paul,

There are not any issues I am aware of with Vista exe's running on XP. Does the XP machine have the 8.2.1 runtime engine installed? If you are using DAQmx you would also need to make sure you were using version 8.5 on the XP machine. I would try creating another simple test exe on your Vista machine and see if it will run successfully on your XP machine. Lets try to narrow down the issue.
Nick R
NI
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,515 Views)

On three machines it worked one client it did not. I will try setting the compatability, do I do this with the vista machine and send it with the mode already set.  There is no daq and the 8.21 runtime is on the machine.  I dont know what could be different on the client machine.  the code which froze was purly user event, no daq, no tool kits, no communications, no analysis in this part of the code.  Are there some visual effects or something else which could have been set by my vista PC that some XP boxes cant handle.  The code does load and begins to execute but hangs on this popup vi.  Very weird.

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,503 Views)