LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSP430F5528 Read Data

I am a student new to LabVIEW, and I need to read data from a MSP430F5528.

In VISA MAX, when I try to read data, I either get a timout error or the error:

"The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it".

I'm wondering if the issue is I need to work through Code Composer Studio to send data to LabVIEW, however at that point I'd need an MSP-FET to interface the device with that software.

I believe that PuTTY registers this device, as I can connect the specific port to PuTTY, however I am not familiar with this software either.

If this is relevant, the device connects to the laptop as a COM port.

How do I work with this device in a LabVIEW VI?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,672 Views)

I am trying to write a LabVIEW code that can read data from an FDC2114 EVM Board. It is read by my computer as a COM port, and I seem to be having issues in NI Max reading data from the board.

Has anyone successfully interfaced with this device?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(2,721 Views)

@Dave3345554 wrote:

I am trying to write a LabVIEW code that can read data from an FDC2114 EVM Board. It is read by my computer as a COM port, and I seem to be having issues in NI Max reading data from the board.

Has anyone successfully interfaced with this device?

What issues are you seeing?

Are you able to use TeraTerm or another terminal program to communciate with that board?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,711 Views)

Thanks for the response.

I have the board connected to my computer via. USB-B to USB-A.

I have tried using NI MAX to read and write from the device, however I cannot seem to read from the device, as I get an error.

The FDC2114EVM uses and MSP430F5528 to connect to the computer using the USB cable. It registers as a MSP430 EVM as a COM port. I have tried a few drivers, most of which are supposed to interface with MSP430 launchpads. I also tried to connect using a pre-written a labview code that was supposed to read from the device via UART connection, however they recommended using Code Composer Studio to connect to the Launchpad, as well as Putty. Code Composer Studio did not seem to register the MSP430F5528, and I could not communicate to the device using Putty.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,677 Views)

@Dave3345554 wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I have the board connected to my computer via. USB-B to USB-A.

I have tried using NI MAX to read and write from the device, however I cannot seem to read from the device, as I get an error.

The FDC2114EVM uses and MSP430F5528 to connect to the computer using the USB cable. It registers as a MSP430 EVM as a COM port. I have tried a few drivers, most of which are supposed to interface with MSP430 launchpads. I also tried to connect using a pre-written a labview code that was supposed to read from the device via UART connection, however they recommended using Code Composer Studio to connect to the Launchpad, as well as Putty. Code Composer Studio did not seem to register the MSP430F5528, and I could not communicate to the device using Putty.

You should not need other drivers if the board shows up in Windows Device Manager as COM.

That you cannot communicate to the device using Putty is not a good sign and is indicative of your not understanding what the board requires for proper communication.

Be sure to read https://z49x2vmq.github.io/2017/11/12/putty-cr-lf-en/

I prefer to use TeraTerm instead of Putty.

I wouldn't bother with LabVIEW until you can use a terminal program to communicate with your board.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,672 Views)

I was following an example, where someone communicated with an MSP430 by first creating a script in Code Composer Studio. They used PuTTY to show characters being echoed back.

I looked more into communicating with the device and found my errors regarding utilizing PuTTY.

I am establishing communication with the device and am able to echo characters, so that means that I am connected to the board.

How would I now establish communication with the device directly in LabVIEW? I want to forego using CCS, as I do not have an FET Emulator, which I need in order to connect the device to CCS.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,664 Views)

More information on the errors I have been receiving:

Trying to read using the VISA Interactive Control:

"Timeout expired before operation completed"

When I am using COM3 Driver and attempt to run VI that reads from UART:

"The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it"

When I use MSP430 UART Application I have a timeout error.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,662 Views)

@Dave3345554 wrote:

More information on the errors I have been receiving:

Trying to read using the VISA Interactive Control:

"Timeout expired before operation completed"

When I am using COM3 Driver and attempt to run VI that reads from UART:

"The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it"

When I use MSP430 UART Application I have a timeout error.

Thanks 

Since you have the MSP430 application already connected to that the EVM board, any other application/program will not be able to access the EVM board.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,652 Views)

do not spam this forum !

His other post on the same topic :  https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Interface-with-FDC2114-EVM-Board/m-p/3840664

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,650 Views)

Then I would need to go through CCS in order to send data to LabVIEW? Or I can't send any data out of that application at all?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,643 Views)