LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX from LV installer (has no serial port)

(Correction this belows in the hardware forum)...

I use LV9, create an installer that includes MAX and the MAX doesn't show any hardware or serial port on the working PC. The working PC has got a COM1 port that shows up under XP Device Manager.

Take a look at the attached pic. MAX shows "My System" and "Remote Systems", I would expect it to find any peripheral hardware on the PC (i.e.. COM1).

What am I missing here???

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,689 Views)

Have you looked at the installed software? Do you see VISA there? You don't mention installing that. You aren't going to get any com ports listed if you do not install the driver for the com ports.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,677 Views)

Beside the VIs, these are the Additional Installers that are checked when I do my installer build.  

NI-VISA Runtime 5.0

NI Measurement & Automation Explorer 4.7

NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 2009 SP1

There are other VISAs not check for they are for Real Time OS and Windows CE....

I would think NI-VISA Runtime 5.0 would take care of showing com ports in MAX....am I wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,585 Views)

Run time is just that- why would it contain the functions (NI-Spy,VISA Interactive control etc...) to interact through MAX? 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,576 Views)

OK, my question still not addressed, what VISA xxx will give me com ports in MAX, out the list of "Additional Installers" in Installer properties.

This post appear to show otherwise, http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/VISA-Serial-Misery/m-p/1097935#M485516

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,571 Views)

@richjoh wrote:

OK, my question still not addressed, what VISA xxx will give me com ports in MAX, out the list of "Additional Installers" in Installer properties.

This post appear to show otherwise, http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/VISA-Serial-Misery/m-p/1097935#M485516

VISA Interactive control-  a component of VISA development. (and Possibly the VISA config support) I'm not positive

The post shown (and your app) would allow you to use VISA from a calling app.  to interactivly use (or see) the COM ports in MAX requires additional software.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,551 Views)

To get MAX support for VISA, you will need to include NI-VISA Configuration Support.

Jeremy L.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,500 Views)

I'll give "Configuration Support" a try. Although the "Description" box wording appears to the perfect fit...

quote"

Use to deploy VISA settings and to configure VISA resources in MAX.

Use to deploy VISA settings

"

I was initially discouraged by seeing this wording under the "Distribution Title" box

quote "NI Labview 2009 Real-Time Module"

So I initially thought this was Real-Time module stuff. Anyhow the titles are misleading. Needs to be changed going forward.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,488 Views)

That just explains where the product was last installed from.  It sounds like in your case, NI-VISA was last installed from the LabVIEW RT distribution, and so when you go to create an installer, it will ask you to provide that media for the installer to pull NI-VISA Configuration installer from.  If you don't have the CD/DVD available, it will complain with a dialog and then you should be able to redirect the installer to pull from a different source.  Hope this helps.

Jeremy L.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,481 Views)

Well I added the NI-VISA Configuration Support and no change in MAX. In my project, I did a new build and installer, inlcuded the VISA Configuration Support. Then I uninstalled all NI from the working PC, rebooted, reinstalled the software. I run MAX and MAX still doesn't show COM ports...

Btw, we don't use Labview RT here, we never use this. Must be the last setting when NI ships the install Disc.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,474 Views)