From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear all,

I am using a NI cRIO 9035 with an NI 9862 module. My goal is to use the CAN module to send/receive messages and monitor the communication in the bus.

Monitor received data is easy but I don't how to monitor sent data. The idea will be to save the real frames that are on the bus (the one received and the one sent) but I haven't manage to do it so far. Probably it is not possible and the only way is to mount an additional NI 9862 module to monitor them from a different interface. If so, I will be quite disapointed since these modules are expensive and I will have one less space available for other modules in my cRIO.

I would appreciate any help on that.

Thank you,

Carlos

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,808 Views)

Sure this is pretty easy to do, you just need to enable Echo frames.  Then every frame sent out will also be echo'ed back on the read with a boolean set telling you the frame is actually one your hardware sent.

You may want to look at Part 7 of my CAN blog which talks about File I/O and gives examples on how to log raw CAN frames and read them out of a TDMS file.  You may also want to log them into a BLF file so that Vector tools like CANalyzer can open them and do data processing.  This is also mentioned with examples in that blog post.

Message 2 of 2
(2,767 Views)