LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview interface for Arduino

I am currently using an Arduino Mega with two stacked adafruit motor shield v2.3's and want to create a VI to interface with it to run stepper motors. The few example VI's that I have found are still using LIFA_base which the V2.3 motorshields aren't compatible with. I have moved to trying LINX but I am not familiar on how to interface with motorshield. Has anyone successfully created a VI to control steppers through LINX? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,762 Views)

NI introduced a interface for Arduino, that is available on the VIPM network. I've personally had some success with the diligent package (but its 50 bucks).

Edit read your full post and I did not answer your question. I only used the LIFA_base when I was working with Arduino a few years ago.

________/~~~~~~~~*********~~~~~~~~\________
Certified delinquent LabVIEW developer. Recertifying at next NI Days
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,748 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,732 Views)

Thanks for the link! Once downloaded it runs without error, but I am getting no motion out of the stepper. I have concluded at this point that since I am using a Mega 3560 instead of an UNO that it is not writing to the proper pin?  What are your thoughts on this, if you agree do you know where I should be looking to change which pin the commands are being written to?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,650 Views)

If you suspect a pin topology problem I would take a step back from using LabVIEW. Using a single shield I would follow adafruits' directions and just make sure that the stepper test works. 

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,633 Views)

Hey KFerg,

This motor shield from adafruit communicates on the i2c bus.

According to Arduino reference page on Wire (i2c) https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Wire

The UNO and MEGA do not share the same location for their i2c pins.

Additionally, I have found an article on adafruit's website that goes into board compatibility.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-shield-compatibility?view=all#motor-slash-stepper-slash-servo-sh...

In summary, the Mega 2560 R3 should work without any modifications.

However, A Mega 2560 R2 would require you to put a jumper between A4 and 20, A5 and 21.

Best regards,

Salil Pathare

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

866-275-6964

support@ni.com 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,630 Views)