LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Development Versions

I'm new to LabVIEW--but think I'm getting along alright. I'm currently doing a capstone project in which the source code I have been given is in LabVIEW 2009, but my school has a license for 2018. I know that you can back save to a previous version of LabVIEW, however, you cannot build on a previous version of the runtime environment.  Therein lies my problem. If I build the code I was given in LabVIEW 2018, or attempt to run the working build that I was given on the 2018 runtime, it breaks. Is there any way to build a project in a previous development system version (2009)?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, new to the forum.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,376 Views)

You can still download the 2009 runtime engine to use on the working build you were given...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,372 Views)

@jeremy.peterson97 wrote:

I'm new to LabVIEW--but think I'm getting along alright. I'm currently doing a capstone project in which the source code I have been given is in LabVIEW 2009, but my school has a license for 2018. I know that you can back save to a previous version of LabVIEW, however, you cannot build on a previous version of the runtime environment.  Therein lies my problem. If I build the code I was given in LabVIEW 2018, or attempt to run the working build that I was given on the 2018 runtime, it breaks. Is there any way to build a project in a previous development system version (2009)?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, new to the forum.

You should be able to install any version up to, and including whatever version the license was created for.  You should be able to legally install LV 2009 with whatever options the LV 2018 license has.  Just use the info from the 2018 license on your 2009 install.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,370 Views)

I guess this leads to another question because I was unable to find it anywhere on NI's site. Where would I get that install for 2009? I had assumed that to be true (that I could get each previous version) based on the info I had looked up on previous LabVIEW versions, but I am unable to find it on NI's site. Am I looking in the wrong place? Thank you for the prompt response.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,359 Views)

I still don't understand what the problem is. So you are simply distributing excutables, and no student needs access to the source code?

You can run both 2009 and 2018 executables on the same machine and all that's needed are both runtime engines installed at the same time.

Things might get more complicated if you use certain drivers, but you have not mentioned that.

@jeremy.peterson97 wrote:

If I build the code I was given in LabVIEW 2018, or attempt to run the working build that I was given on the 2018 runtime, it breaks.

We really cannot know what "it breaks" means, when you say that. What is "it" and how does it break? (Breaks during the build? Breaks during the attempted run? Complaining about missing runtime? specific error message? Computer bursts into flames?)

(And yes, a LabVIEW license typically includes all previous versions if you want to go the 2009 route, but be aware that the OS requirements might be different).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,344 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I still don't understand what the problem is. So you are simply distributing excutables, and no student needs access to the source code?

I apologize, I understand I might not have been as clear as I wanted to be.

I am a student at an engineering university doing a capstone project. I need to distribute the executables to the company sponsoring said project. They also require the source code should they ever feel the need to edit it. I understand utilizing two different versions of runtime now. The machine this is running on had 2009, I installed 2018, and I assume that it switched the runtime to use with LabVIEW executables. I assume that is simply something I have to force open with runtime 2009. That is fine.

I also understand that that is not at all specific enough; very specifically, the program has a main screen, and buttons which then access other VIs to do work for the main program. Using the 2009 runtime, these buttons all work properly and access the VIs, and bring up the new UIs. Using the 2018 runtime, none of these buttons bring up the new VIs. I feel as though I can circumvent this problem by simply getting an install for 2009, back saving my work in 2018 to 2009, and then building the project over again in 2009. If you do not think this is the solution to my problem please tell me, but that is what I am garnering. The only issue is that... I do not know where to look on NI's site to get a 2009 download, as it seems as though their downloads page only goes back to 2012.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,334 Views)

Sorry, I wasn't even sure what a "capstone project" is, but if you are doing work for an outside company, they should be responsible for the license because an academic license might not even allow for such a use. You might look into that first to see what the agreement actually is. Maybe the company still has a copy of their 2009 LabVIEW version for you to use.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,330 Views)

A "capstone project" is typically a team-based "real-world" year-long project done during the senior year of undergraduate Engineering courses.  It can also refer to a similar situation undertaken as part of a Master's program (I've not encountered this term in PhD studies ...).

The origin of the LabVIEW 2009 source is unclear.  If it belongs to the University (as part of a former Capstone Project, for example), then you should be able to do whatever you need with it.  What is the problem with opening the code in LabVIEW 2018, mass-compiling it (to convert the code to LabVIEW 2018 code, going through the code and "modernizing" it where appropriate (you should always take the trouble to re-examine and "improve" old code and be sure it meets "good coding standards", which includes making sure every VI is documented, every VI has an Icon, and other things), and essentially abandoning the 2009 code base?  It does, of course, imply that your Customer will need to have a LabVIEW 2018 (or later) LabVIEW Development System in order to open and/or modify your code.  The other advantage, of course, is your Run-Time System will be up-to-date, and not a decade old, and patches to Drivers will be "relevant".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,322 Views)