LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2021 SP1 can be used with FlexRIO 21.3 or only Labview 2021 base will work ?

hi, 

we are planning to buy NI PXIe 7962R - a FLEXRIO . 

when referring the required softwares, i came across this link:

FlexRIO Driver and LabVIEW Version Compatibility - NI

here it is mentioned at FLExRIO 21.3 is compatible with LabVIEW 2021 base version  and not SP1 version .

we have SP1 a. So just wanted to know if FLEXRIO driver will work with this .

thanks ,

jeya 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,338 Views)

That's quite amazing! LabVIEW 2021SP1 is expected to be released in spring 2022!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 10
(2,322 Views)

I wouldn't get that FlexRIO card. I'd get something newer.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,319 Views)

Generally, the SP1 (Service Pack 1) release "fixes bugs" that were overlooked in the "New Version" release, and (rarely) "break" anything that worked with the base version.  If it works with LabVIEW 2021, it should also work with 2021 SP1.  Another "observation" (of mine -- I don't know if this is real "NI Policy") is that new code released at the time of SP1 often has ".5" as part of the Version number, e.g. FlexRIO 21.5, so I'd guess that FlexRIO 21.3 has been tested and works with LabVIEW 2021 (and probably any updates to 2021 released before 2021 SP1).

Note -- these are observations of mine from > a dozen years of experience with LabVIEW versions, and also "logical thinking" ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,309 Views)

Hi, 

thanks a lot!

jey

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,307 Views)

Hi, 

thanks for the reply. 

I hope there is no technical drawbacks in using that card other than it is in " mature" lifecycle. 

please mention technical drawbacks , if any so that we can look for other alternatives.

Are there any cost effective alternatives . 

thanks,

jey

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,306 Views)

Mature lifecycle means "not recommended for new designs". It is still manufactured and can be ordered for some time but it is sooner or later going into maintenance lifecycle. Once it is announced to be scheduled for that you can do a last buy and then you can not purchase it anymore from NI, even if you are willing to jump through hoops and loops.

So if this is a one off experimental setup that you want to build now and don't expect to update or change after the initial release, the mature lifecycle is not a real problem. But if you foresee to want to use this system for years to come and if a hardware fails to easily get a replacement hardware to keep things running, then you should really look for a product that is still in active lifecycle state now.

Especially in the current supply chain crisis, mature products are extra sensible to suddenly get put in the maintenance life cycle because it gets hard to supply parts for it and the outlook for these parts is not looking great even in the longer turn. Then the decision may be done very very quickly to just end the mature life cycle now rather than trying to keep hoping that it will change.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,299 Views)

hi, 

:-< . we may plan for labVIEW 2021SP1. 

thanks 

¨jeya

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,298 Views)

@JeyUiO wrote:

Hi, 

thanks for the reply. 

I hope there is no technical drawbacks in using that card other than it is in " mature" lifecycle. 

please mention technical drawbacks , if any so that we can look for other alternatives.

Are there any cost effective alternatives . 

thanks,

jey

There are technical drawbacks. It has an FPGA which uses a version of Xilinx tools not supported in Windows 10.

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,272 Views)

See https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/compatibility/19/compatibility-between-xilinx-compila...

The 7962 does not show up for LabVIEW 2021 and for 2020 works with Xilinx ISE.

See https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374738l.html ISE only runs in Windows 7.

I don't know what you are looking to do so it would be risky to recommend something in the absence of requirements.

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,269 Views)