LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2018 Software download

Why has NI blocked the download of the earlier versions? 

We bought a 2018 license which we want to use, but it looks like NI just reversed the deal? Or where can I access the software? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(946 Views)

You never could just simply download older versions than the current one. For older versions you always needed an active Maintenance Support Contract or Software Subscription.

You will have to contact NI sales with your proof of purchase so they can make a private download for you available.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(929 Views)

Last time I checked was 2008, there it was possible. 

The 2018 license wasn´t even offered on USB, it was download only.at that time. Now win11 arrived and the eternal hunt for NI software, patches, installations has begun again, yay

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(914 Views)

Hi Meeper,

@Meeper wrote:

The 2018 license wasn´t even offered on USB, it was download only.at that time.

No!

You could/can always request a USB drive with your software FOR FREE from NI!

(Atleast this was the case when I requested my LV2021 software 2 years ago, and several other versions in the years before…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(911 Views)

You are aware that 2008 is already 15 years ago? That's about an eon in software industry, although you may have had an active Maintenance Support Program contract associated with your account at that time actually. You always got at least one year of MSP with your software purchase.

Thing is, if you want to download older software nowadays you can't just do that like this. Even in Open Source you might be hard pressured to find binary releases of old distributions sometimes.

As another software developer example take Visual Studio. If you want to download any other version than the most recent, you need to have a Microsoft Software Developer Subscription for a mere 1500 bucks a year. It gives you a download and a license to run even very old Visual Studio releases, but you don't get them just like that without this subscription.

If you buy software nowadays, you are very happy if it is not subscription only, but to expect to be able to download them anytime in the future is simply naïve. Software with a perpetual license, while already seldom nowadays, absolutely require you to archive the installer yourself somewhere. Not doing so is simply negligent and getting angry about not being able to download it without a lot of hassles may seem like your right but it solves nothing.

And that Microsoft Windows 11 got a fact, after Microsoft promised in 2015 that Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows they will ever release, is of course not NI's fault. 😁

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(882 Views)

Dear Rolf, King of Currywurst, I really don´t need you mansplaining your limited personal views. 

You obviously have no clue at all about how software deployment works and how other companies than yours work with licenses, tools, versions and products. 

Just to cancel one statement out, yes its aeons ago, but Labview still is as crapy as it ever has been- so when nothing changes on the product, why should the pricetag change? 

Beside that, there is a download function, that lets me choose my version and blocks it due to license agreements. Hence my NI account has the proper license attached to it. 

So maybe we can focus on the task at hand here and not pump our forum score without any reason. Go out and take a Glühwein and let the big boys handle it from here. 

NI: is there someone that can help me here, from NI, with the actual power to change things? Or is it just "Stammtisch"-speakers and bored ones around here? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(865 Views)

Hi Meeper,

@Meeper wrote:

So maybe we can focus on the task at hand here …

NI: is there someone that can help me here,

No, usually here (aka "in this forum") is nobody from NI being able to help you.

To focus on your task: please re-read message #2 in this thread…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 7 of 9
(860 Views)

@Meeper wrote:

Dear Rolf, King of Currywurst, I really don´t need you mansplaining your limited personal views. 

You obviously have no clue at all about how software deployment works and how other companies than yours work with licenses, tools, versions and products. 

Just to cancel one statement out, yes its aeons ago, but Labview still is as crapy as it ever has been- so when nothing changes on the product, why should the pricetag change? 

Beside that, there is a download function, that lets me choose my version and blocks it due to license agreements. Hence my NI account has the proper license attached to it. 

So maybe we can focus on the task at hand here and not pump our forum score without any reason. Go out and take a Glühwein and let the big boys handle it from here. 

NI: is there someone that can help me here, from NI, with the actual power to change things? Or is it just "Stammtisch"-speakers and bored ones around here? 

As a new member, it would be wise not to get on Rolfk's bad side.  He is one of the most knowledgeable, patient members of the forum, and if he decides to ignore your posts, you'll be losing access to one of the best resources in the forum.

On the other hand, I don't think it's really possible to get on his bad side.  I've really never seen it happen before.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 8 of 9
(825 Views)

See Download Previous Versions of NI Software

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(821 Views)