LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW at 20!

@Ben wrote:

.So how did the tube radio help with your debugging?

Ben,

with the help of radio interference you can hear your computer working. (best in AM and SW Range, ok nowadays UHF? ) And you can hear if your program hang or running a fast or slow loop, listening to the interrupts.  Since the old tube radios are not shielded (wooden box, no PCB, all free wired )  they easely catch the electrons stop and go on your computer board Smiley Happy

It's a way like you don't need to look at the system load because you can hear the load of the power supply

BTW:  Bob Pease still recommend this way to troubleshoot circuitry. http://www.national.com/rap/Book/0,1565,0,00.html

I love this radio, and I still have the telefunken tube guarantee cards (expired now Smiley Wink  ) and the magic eye is still glowing..... http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Roehren-Geschichtliches/Mag_Augen/Mag_Augen.htm

Some more on troubleshooting http://www.avocetsystems.com/company/articles/magazine/tblsht2.htm 

Message Edited by Henrik Volkers on 06-07-2006 04:30 PM

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 111 of 176
(1,869 Views)
Wow, sounds like some kind of NSA spy activity......

I suppose recording something like that nowadays would be kind of impractical due to the increased speeds, but would it be possible to hook up a DAQ card to a similar system and record the code running on a ZX81?

That would be interesting....  You could not only have code which is pretty to read, but also pretty to listen to too.  A whole new area of programming aesthetics.

Re: ZX81 assembler I have to pass.  It was before my time.  I remember vaguely references to it when I was young, but the C64 was the first computer I really encountered.....  Assembler makes me shudder anyway.

Shane.

PS I do remember the sound of the old tape-loaders of the "Amstrad CPC 464" and wondered how long it would take for someone to put some drum beats behind it and score a top 10 hit.  Thankfully some things don't come to pass.

Message Edited by shoneill on 06-07-2006 05:13 PM

Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 112 of 176
(1,853 Views)

@Henrik Volkers wrote:

with the help of radio interference you can hear your computer working...  And you can hear if your program hang or running a fast or slow loop, listening to the interrupts. 

That...is...really...cool... Smiley Tongue

I started using Labview in 2001,that time there were very less number of users in India and the companies using Labview for Revenues were only Small companies and i was worried about the career with LabVIEW

Latest Development and Marketing Startegies in indian region led the LabVIEW to be used by Big & Outsourcing companies and nowadays a many lot top companies including HCL Technologies,Texas Instruments,GE,Satyam,Infosys,Tata Consultancy Services,Patni Computer Systems,KPIT Cummins,L&T are using labview for Offshore development and a good tool to earn revenues....

Its a good to tool to work at and has good jobs assocaited nowadays

It has also been getting Best Software awards in India by Leading Magazines...

The Moral of the Story...:Patience gives a sweet fruitSmiley Happy

Certified Labview Associate Developer(CLAD)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Forget to Rate the answers.!!! You can do it in few seconds
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 114 of 176
(1,816 Views)
may be this off thread but please its a request!
i posted my problem in mostactive hardware section titeld to save data acquired in DAQ
please someone look into it and help me....
plzzzzzzzz
0 Kudos
Message 115 of 176
(1,809 Views)

@Henrik Volkers wrote:

with the help of radio interference you can hear your computer working. (best in AM and SW Range, ok nowadays UHF? ) And you can hear if your program hang or running a fast or slow loop, listening to the interrupts.  Since the old tube radios are not shielded (wooden box, no PCB, all free wired )  they easely catch the electrons stop and go on your computer board Smiley Happy

I recently read an article similar to this.  There is a study about using sounds to tell the IT team the "health" of the network.  A bunch of different sounds are generated based on events, such as a virus got intercepted, spam traffic level, etc..  It was a print, so sorry, I can't post a link... well actually, maybe I could. 

Who knows... maybe sounds could also be used in production 😉

Message 116 of 176
(1,786 Views)

Thanks Mr.altenbach !

i was totally ignorant of it

0 Kudos
Message 117 of 176
(1,777 Views)
"old tube radios........easely catch the electrons stop and go on your computer board ???? 

That's a good one!

I can just see the new guys running out for the Snake Oil,   I mean "old tube radio",   to try and debug their code.

Although a radio may be nice to listen to during the three or four minutes it takes for LabVIEW 8 to launch. 
Message 118 of 176
(1,784 Views)

@JoeLabView wrote:

I recently read an article similar to this.  There is a study about using sounds to tell the IT team the "health" of the network.  A bunch of different sounds are generated based on events, such as a virus got intercepted, spam traffic level, etc..  It was a print, so sorry, I can't post a link... well actually, maybe I could. 

Who knows... maybe sounds could also be used in production 😉

Actually the ominous ping utility seems to have gotten its name just because of that. The original setup was a computer system where the output of a quickly put together testprogram that later got prominent as "ping" utility was piped to the system beeper to troubleshoot faulty network cables. A single person could then test the cable by walking through the building and moving and bending it and listening to the loud sound could in that way detect where a cable defect or bad connector might be located.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 119 of 176
(1,779 Views)

Audio feedback is a very powerful  technique. 🙂

I remember about 30 years ago I hooked up an audio amplifier to our old pulsed NMR spectrometer to listen to the FID for a student demonstration. I was amazing how much easier the shimmig was, just listening to the sound... If the field was inhomogenous, it sounded more like a

Thudddd...,

while with a prefectly shimmed magnet the sound was a beatiful

Dinngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.......

Just dialing the shim knobs while listeing would esily tell the righ direction to turn. 🙂 It is amazing how good the human ear is to sense even subtle differences.

(With a ethanol sample I was able to generate some nice harmonics by selecting a suitable reference frequency).

Message 120 of 176
(1,771 Views)