LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Roadmap (2022)

@JKSH wrote:

@billko wrote:

Does the "better support for large monitors" mean you've been able to implement the BD zoom feature from NXG?

The roadmap says "Improve LabVIEW IDE experience on high resolution monitors". I suspect this is simply enabling DPI-awareness (so that text don't appear physically tiny, for example).

Oh, well.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 105
(4,441 Views)

Nice to see new features like .NET5 and Unicode coming to the "good old fashion" LabVIEW 😀. Any chance to get a more modern web browser integration arriving with these ?

Message 12 of 105
(4,407 Views)

Hello

@amaury74  a écrit : Any chance to get a more modern web browser integration arriving with these ?

Tu as bien raison : 

>>> update the embedded web browser in order to comply with HTML5 ? : Modern embedded web browser

cf un échange récent

Résolu : Modern embedded web browser - NI Community

A+ Luc

banniere Luc Livre NXG Champion.png

Luc Desruelle | Mon profil | Mon blog LabVIEW | Auteur livre LabVIEW : Programmation et applications - G Web
Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA) & Certified TestStand Developper (CTD) | LabVIEW Champion

MESULOG - LinkedIn site | NERYS - NERYS Group
| directeur CEO MESULOG
| CODIR - NERYS group

Message 13 of 105
(4,401 Views)

I (and I'm sure many others) welcome the long overdue introduction of a Data Grid control, although I'll have probably retired before I see it. Better late than never, I suppose.

Message 14 of 105
(4,378 Views)

@GGT wrote:

I (and I'm sure many others) welcome the long overdue introduction of a Data Grid control

That was the only capability on the list that would justify me upgrading from LV2020. Then I scrolled to the right and saw it's not even in the next 2 major releases 😢

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 105
(4,221 Views)

@OneOfTheDans wrote:

@GGT wrote:

I (and I'm sure many others) welcome the long overdue introduction of a Data Grid control

That was the only capability on the list that would justify me upgrading from LV2020. Then I scrolled to the right and saw it's not even in the next 2 major releases 😢

There's a thread somewhere that mentioned NI is moving to two major releases per year (not sure how that works). If you interpret it that way it could mean the new Datagrid control is planned for next year some time, which would be nice.

As someone who's implemented a Datagrid myself, I don't think NI would need three+ years to implement one, unless it's just REALLY low on their priority list. I know they do a heck of a lot more testing and work on it than I did but still, I made one out of the Qcontrol toolkit in less than a month. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

That said... it's pretty dang confusing to not have any actual dates on the timeline. Having to combine this roadmap and some random Idea Exchange posts from NI to decipher their timeline makes me think the LV 2022 Beta program has been replaced with an ARG 😁

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 105
(4,222 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

@OneOfTheDans wrote:

@GGT wrote:

As someone who's implemented a Datagrid myself, I don't think NI would need three+ years to implement one, unless it's just REALLY low on their priority list. I know they do a heck of a lot more testing and work on it than I did but still, I made one out of the Qcontrol toolkit in less than a month. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Well consider that such a control would be an actually built in control, not just some control based on QControl or similar LabVIEW trickery. So something similar to the TreeView control in LabVIEW. That would justify a two year development cycle, first year to write the actual code and add it as a hidden feature to the product (with semi-official INI file leak to let the very brave play with it), second year to make it work without crashes and then it could be released.

On that level things work a little bit more complicated and it needs to be properly added into the LabVIEW object hierarchy including scripting.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 105
(4,209 Views)

I don't mean to trivialize the development effort that such a control would take. I understand really, truly adding a native type is much different from creating an add-on. The roadmap though seems to indicate it's 3 years out though (assuming 1 major release per year) which seemed excessive. I could certainly understand 2 years though.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 105
(4,181 Views)

There was a data grid control in LabVIEW NXG:

https://www.ni.com/documentation/en/labview/latest/ctrl-ref/data-grid/

I suspect that this is apart of the initiative to take NXG tech and port it backwards into LabVIEW.

So, I wonder how much of the NXG work can be ported, or if this would truly be starting from scratch.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 105
(4,055 Views)

Docked constants were nice, and I'm guessing it wouldn't be TOO difficult to implement.  (Not easy, either.)

billko_0-1648063165200.png

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 20 of 105
(4,040 Views)