From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2011, and Excel 2010: saving problems

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello to all! 🙂 I am a student of Mechanical Engineeringfthat very little has been using this software. I present the problem: for a matter which is called Biomechanics, I and my colleagues, we have developed the design of a rheometer, which is controlled by LabVIEW2011. Since we are still at the experimental stage, always has been simulated using labview: the whole experience. So, labview, at present, not only controls the stepper motor through the frequency sets, but also simulates the output (in the specific, the response to the torsion of the cartilage, simulated with a low pass filter of the second order). All this was done by my colleague more experienced than me, who today passed me the finished project that in his pc works perfectly while not in mine (we have the same version of labview, but different version of office). In practice, the program is fine (there is no arrow "Run" broken) and the simulation with the creation of the sine graph (response of the cartilage) is done perfectly. My colleague then set labview in order to save the data to an excel sheet at the end of the simulation, asking the user where to put it (the excel file must already exist, labview does not create it). The excel file should contain two columns and a scatter plot (one column represents the frequency, f, of the stepper motor, the second represent the shear modulus G, which increases as the frequency increases and the graph represent the trend of G in function of f). As soon as I decide to save the data, excel opens, for an instant appear the scatter plot and data in columns but immediately after the graph disappears and remain only the columns with data (so I have to make the graph "manually") and labview gives me the following error:

Error -2147023170 occurred at Property Node (arg 2) in NI_ReportGenerationToolkit.lvlib:Excel_Insert_Char

t.vi->NI_Excel.lvclass:Excel Insert Graph.vi->NI_ReportGenerationToolkit.lvlib:Excel Easy Graph.vi->SaveExcelFile.vi->Progetto 2.0.vi

This error code is undefined. Undefined errors might occur for a number of reasons. For example, no one has provided a description for the code, or you might have wired a number that is not an error code to the error code input.

Additionally, undefined error codes might occur because the error relates to a third-party object, such as the operating system or ActiveX. For these third-party errors, you might be able to obtain a description of the error by searching the Web for the error code (-2147023170) or for its hexadecimal representation (0x800706BE).

What can I do?
Thanks. Regards 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,195 Views)
Solution
Accepted by DLZ8847

Different versions of Office is something I would look into carefully. As in try to get the same version FIRST unless you want to read the Microsoft Office Excel Developer documentation between the different versions of Excel.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,149 Views)

Since you have limited experience with LabVIEW, another approach to consider is removing the Report Generation VIs and just use Write to Spreadsheet File.vi to save your data in a tab-delimited text file. This is built in to LV and will write a file which can be opened in Excel or many other programs.  Of course this just saves the data and does not produce any graphs.  You would need to do those manually in Excel. You can also generate many kinds of graphs directly in LV as well.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,142 Views)

The LabVIEW Report Generator in LabVIEW 2010 and more recent versions does, indeed, work very well with Excel in Office 2010.  I helped someone about two weeks ago with a problem saving a series of measurements to a (new) Excel Workbook.  Your problem differs in two ways -- you want to save in an existing Excel file (why? Aren't you worried about overwriting data, or are you trying to add a new WorkSheet, or append to the end of an existing WorkSheet?) and making a Chart.  I've not tried charts, so don't have advice right now.

Judging by your error message, it is the Chart feature that is giving you trouble.  Can you see how your code runs if you eliminate the Chart functions?  [You can do that by putting a "Diagram Disable" Structure around the Chart code, clicking on the top of the structure and wiring the wires through in the Enable case].

Give that a try and let us know what happens.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,129 Views)

In first, thanks to all for the reply, second, i resolved installing the same version of office (office 2013) that my collegue has in his pc! Thanks again!
Best regards! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,119 Views)

I'm glad you got it working.  I just tested adding a Graph (using LabVIEW) into Excel -- I keep getting ActiveX errors, so either I'm not calling the LabVIEW function properly or it just doesn't work.  Oops ...

BS

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,104 Views)