LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LABVIEW

Can anyone help me to get positive and negative clipper using LABVIEW.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,061 Views)

This probably better handled physically.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,056 Views)

I give up what is a positive and negative clipper?

If you mean to insure that the value of a variable remains within the bounds of Y1 and Y2 where Y1 > Y2 then you are looking for the "In Range Coerce" function which is found in the Programming -> Comparison pallet.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,016 Views)

@Tom_Powers wrote:

I give up what is a positive and negative clipper?

If you mean to insure that the value of a variable remains within the bounds of Y1 and Y2 where Y1 > Y2 then you are looking for the "In Range Coerce" function which is found in the Programming -> Comparison pallet.

I looked it up - they are colloquial terms for a circuit that actually clips the tops and bottoms off a waveform.  That's why I suggested doing it physically.  There is no reason why you would want to do it in software that I can think of that wouldn't apply to a physical circuit, and it is just safer for everything in the circuit to have it done with a physical filter.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,001 Views)

Billko wrote

I looked it up - they are colloquial terms for a circuit that actually clips the tops and bottoms off a waveform.  That's why I suggested doing it physically.  There is no reason why you would want to do it in software that I can think of that wouldn't apply to a physical circuit, and it is just safer for everything in the circuit to have it done with a physical filter.

Bill

Yes I am an EE by education and can provide any number of circuits that would do that kind of function.  What is not clear on forums like this is the background of and if English is the native language of the OP.  I have edited any number of papers written by folks who used google translate to figure out a technical term, where I have to ask what do they really mean. That is why I asked for clarification and gave an example of a solution assuming that OP was asking a LabVIEW question and not a circuit design question.

One example of where I use the coerce function as a "positive and negative clipper" on signals within LabVIEW when I am writing variables to an instrument or clocks to a DAQ module where an out of range value might throw an error.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(986 Views)

@Tom_Powers wrote:

Billko wrote

Bill

Yes I am an EE by education and can provide any number of circuits that would do that kind of function.  What is not clear on forums like this is the background of and if English is the native language of the OP.  I have edited any number of papers written by folks who used google translate to figure out a technical term, where I have to ask what do they really mean. That is why I asked for clarification and gave an example of a solution assuming that OP was asking a LabVIEW question and not a circuit design question.

One example of where I use the coerce function as a "positive and negative clipper" on signals within LabVIEW when I am writing variables to an instrument or clocks to a DAQ module where an out of range value might throw an error.

I am just saying that I would condition the signal as much as possible before running it through any software "filter".  Not "instruct" the EE - that's just what I would do first.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(973 Views)