LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invoke Nodes - Labview NXG equivlent

Hello Community,

I am new to using Labview NXG 5.0 and i have just converted an labview 2020 vi to bring it up to Labview NXG 5.0 verson. I have a front panel / Home Page where i want to press a buttont to open up another vi that is in my project folder and run that one. In Labview 2020 and earlier versions this was done by a invoke node but when its conversted it into labview NXG 5.0 that isnt supported. Please could somebody point me in the right area which i can enable the function of running anther vi from my Front Panel / Homepage.

Kind Regards

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,133 Views)

https://www.ni.com/documentation/en/labview/latest/migration/differences-labview-labviewnxg/ 

In short, NXG has no invoke nodes.  😕

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,078 Views)

Hi Billko,

Thank you for your reply.

Do you know if there is a way of having a Front Panel which i could put buttons on which when one is pressed it takes you to another panel which would show data that is gathering from a mysql table. I know how to do the gathering of the data from the mysql table. Just dont know how to do the switching of the diffrent panels.

Kind Regards

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,065 Views)

Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.  I found it here.  I think I will bookmark this link, come to think of it.  It's quite useful, and I refer to it all the time.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,040 Views)

Hi Matt!

To elaborate on Billko's post, the link he shared is perfect for inserting one gvi into another one, but both gvi's have to already be running for this to work. To start, you need to decide if the gvi you are running should be opened in a new window or not. While on the panel of the gvi you want to open, in the configuration pane under panel set the run behavior to new window. Then, to run this gvi without an invoke node you need the "Program Flow>Execution Control" palette. This will allow you to open a gvi reference and then call it asynchronously. If you want it in a floating window, you're done! If you want it in a subpanel you'll need the gvi's Billko referenced.

Philip Bear
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,989 Views)

Hello Philip Bear,

Thank you for your reply to my post.

I will look at implementing what you suggested. Each of the gvi's would open up in a new window. 

Thank

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,985 Views)

@Matt14122017 wrote:

Hello Philip Bear,

Thank you for your reply to my post.

I will look at implementing what you suggested. Each of the gvi's would open up in a new window. 

Thank

Matt

Sorry about that - I misinterpreted your need.  I thought you were trying to open up in a subpanel.  Whenever I use the term "invoke" when I am talking about VIs, it's usually to call a VI as a subpanel.

FYI - using an invoke node isn't the usual way of opening up a subVI.  You might want to re-think the way you are calling VIs as subVIs in your existing LabVIEW code.  Or are you trying to launch this VI asynchronously?  (i.e., "Fire and forget".)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,980 Views)