LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer questions

Hi, I have two question about the creation of an installer for a Labview standalone exe (I use Labview 7.1):

1) there is a way to create a smaller installer? I have selected only "Labview run-time engine", but the total size of the packages are 10 Mb

2) How can I create an uninstaller?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,434 Views)
The .exe needs the runtime engine to work. You can install the runtime engine separately, but it has to be installed. Then all you have is essentially an installer the size of your build. The advantage of including the runtime engine in the installer is that it is the correct version for your build.

The uninstaller is part of the build. As long as the GUID is the same for your build, newer installs will uninstall the old program first.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,430 Views)
If you want to keep the distribution small, don't include the runtime engine, but still create an installer.

Include instructions on how to download and install the runtime engine from the NI web site. A given machine can have multiple runtime version installed concurrently. All versions are available with direct FTP links that you can communicate to your customers.

Some of the files created by the installer are not really needed and you can typically create a sub-megabyte distribution by keeping only the essential stuff. For example if the users install the correct runtime first, it is guaranteed that the correct MSI installer is present and you can leave out InstMsi.exe and InstMsiW.exe for an additional saving of about 3MB. 🙂

Have a look at this discussion from last year.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,421 Views)

@Odd_Modem wrote:
The uninstaller is part of the build. As long as the GUID is the same for your build, newer installs will uninstall the old program first.

Excuse me, I didn't put it very well... I would know how I can create a link to the uninstaller in the Start menu, without uninstalling from Control Panel.

Thanks all for the other suggestions.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,405 Views)