LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer or Executable for updated code

I am developing the LabVIEW program on a single PC and then creating an installer to run it on a separate PC. For every update, do I need to run the installer every time there is an update? or I can simply use the executable for new updates as the PC already has LabVIEW Run-Time Engine (installed during the first run of the installer file).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,025 Views)

>>  I can simply use the executable for new updates

You can do this.

<edit> My company restricts access to the Program File directories, so I always make sure to check this in the installer build spec:

jcarmody_0-1676391837711.png

</edit>

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 2 of 7
(995 Views)

I rebuild the installer and update the installer version.  The installer version shows up in "Add or remove programs" so you can keep track of which version is installed where.  Additionally, it will install any updated files you might have, like config files, for instance.  But it is also smart enough not to install stuff that is already installed.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 3 of 7
(985 Views)

When in integration/debug mode of the development cycle, I just replace the executable.  When time for a release, use the installer to make sure you have the latest.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 7
(971 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

When in integration/debug mode of the development cycle, I just replace the executable.  When time for a release, use the installer to make sure you have the latest.

Same here...

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 5 of 7
(958 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

<edit> My company restricts access to the Program File directories, so I always make sure to check this in the installer build spec:

That's kind of silly, don't they understand that you can run an executable from any directory? Naming a directory "Program Files" is just a convince, and blocking access to that directory only provides a false sense of security. 

If they were serious they would use something like "Carbon Black" that literally blocks any executable that was not preapproved to run like my company does.   

I can't run the programs I write on my company laptop once compile them into an executable. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(954 Views)

>> That's kind of silly,

😄 We have job openings, too!

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(881 Views)