From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Laview 7.0 on Windows XP Home

Hi,

I tried to install Labview 7.0 on a Windows XP Home system and an error on the Kernell.DLL occured. The same thing happened when I tried with Lookout 5.1.

Any Idea what my problem is?

I did a print screen of the error

Please Note, that I'm using the french version of Windows XP

Tx
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,739 Views)
Hi Averna,

I have had many strange things happen with LV7 & Win-XP Pro. Believe it or not, re-installing Win-XP cured the problem.

I do not know why you are getting the Kernell.dll error. You may want to re-install (update - I think) your Win-XP installation. Hopefully it will cure it as well. You won't have to re-install LV.

-JLV-
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,738 Views)
It *might* help if you are logged on as an Administrator

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,738 Views)
I always log on as administrator...

And always buy the "Pro" version of the OS.

XP is my last purchase of MS products... That's it next time I switch to Linux / Unix...

😛
Message 4 of 6
(2,692 Views)
Fortunately, I have not had any problems with either XP Pro or XP home, and for LabVIEW there should be little difference.

Have a look at the comparison matrix.

You absolutely need XP Pro if you have multiple processors. The rest of the additional features are mostly geared for a corporate environment to work better with centralized management and support. None of these are really useful in a standalone environment. I am using both, but I have never encountered any limitation on the "XP home" machine during use.

If you want the "remote desktop" feature, install VNC. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,673 Views)
Hi Altenbach,

I guess in due time everbody encounters a problem with something.,...
With me it's definitely XP (and one automobile maker 😠 )

As for LV or any other NI product (as I stated earlier), I have never seen any problem.

I spoke with several people, most did have problems when going to SP2.
However, they were successful on the 2nd try... After reformating the drive... 😠

A friend suggested creating a "Slip-stream" installation CD which includes SP2..

I am unhappy with XP, so I'd better stick with 2000.. It does everything I need and I have no complaints about this one (at least one browny point for Uncle Gates).

XP Home & Pro should basically be the same, especially to run LV7.

😄

Cheers to NI for good products... 😄

---

hey!! where did that tomatoe come from?????

😛
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,667 Views)