From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IO Tag list to Labview

Hi,

Does anyone know how to generate I/O labels in Labview from say a excel file?. I would like to make a Name/IO type list that I can import into Labview and generate them automatically in my Project.

I know that DCAF has a tag list system. But thats a bit heavy for my usage. I would like something straight forward that others can use without having to install and configure Labiew.

Cheers

Pete

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,929 Views)

The easy way out is to save (export) the Excel sheet to a txt file. Then read and parse the txt file.

If you really want to import Excel files, you need to use ActiveX. And that has consequences... Any executable you'll build will be hard wired to the exact Excel ActiveX version. So it will be a disaster if you distribute to more then one or two systems (or if IT updates Excel on those systems). That is an old problem, but I don't think it has been solved. Hopefully, but doubtfully.

You'd probably be better of looking for a .NET Excel\Office library.

Or choose the easy way mentioned first...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,907 Views)