From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use external clock (through PFI) for PCI 5112 board

Dear all,

we are trying to use a common external clock for a PCI5112 board to do "stream to disk".
How to modify the VI of "Stream to disk" in labview so that the external clock can be
used? Which VI shall I add into the "Stream to disk vi" in order to configure the
external clock source?

Thanks very much.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,251 Views)

HardHeart,

While the PCI-5112 is certainly capable of phase-locking to a 10MHz clock on its RTSI connector for synchronization, it does not, however, accept an external clock as a sample timebase. The 5112's analog to digital converters always run at 100MS/s and then depending upon which sample rate you've specified, an internal digital circuit decimates the data and then stores the results into memory. In short, the 5112 can be triggered to acquire data from an external source, but cannot be clocked.

However, our newer high-speed digitizers, the PCI-5122 (100 MS/s) and PCI-5124 (200 MS/s) do in fact accept external clocks. If this is a feature that you desire, I highly suggest that you take a look at these devices. I've included a link to their product information pages below.

I hope that this helps to answer your question. Even more details about the 5112's triggering and clocking behaviors can be found in the NI High-Speed Digitizers Help, which I've also linked below. Please let me know if you have further questions.

PCI-5122
PCI-5124

NI High-Speed Digitizers Help

Regards,
Alan L
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Message 2 of 2
(2,239 Views)