From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Modbus on cRIO 9040 with serial port ?

Hello everyone,

I have recently started using LabVIEW with a cRIO 9040 and am still in the learning process.

I would like to use my cRIO with a Smartlink Modbus Slave (A9XMSB11 manufactured by Schneider).

So, I have two questions:

1. I tried using the "Create Master Instance" VI to create a Serial Master Instance. However, I'm not sure what to specify for the "VISA resource name" input. I read that this corresponds to the port to which my Slave would be connected. Is that correct? What value should I provide?

2. The Modbus output on the cRIO 9045 is a RJ45 type, but the Slave has an RS 485 input with 4 pins (D1, D0, Earth, GND). So, here's my question: What type of cable should I use to establish this communication?

I hope I have been clear in my explanations. I am available for clarifications.

Thank you for your answers.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(459 Views)

1. I tried using the "Create Master Instance" VI to create a Serial Master Instance. However, I'm not sure what to specify for the "VISA resource name" input. I read that this corresponds to the port to which my Slave would be connected. Is that correct? What value should I provide?

It is the Modbus Master port of RS-232 to which your slave is connected to. Make sure you have installed the NI-VISA driver on the cRIO. See Using the RS-232 Port on My cRIO

2. The Modbus output on the cRIO 9045 is a RJ45 type, but the Slave has an RS 485 input with 4 pins (D1, D0, Earth, GND). So, here's my question: What type of cable should I use to establish this communication?

You can purchase some adapters. For example

ZYOng_0-1693335596955.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(448 Views)