LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to receive data from a third party device into Labview?

Hello,

I am a new LabVIEW user. I am trying to collect data into LabVIEW from a third party flow meter connected via USB port to my computer. I installed the flowmeter software and can read the data using the software. But, not sure how to make it talk with LabVIEW. Can anyone tell me where should I start?  FYI...Attached is the manual for the flow meter.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,344 Views)

The manual doesn't give any communication details, so that isn't going to help.

When you plug the cable into the PC, how does it show up in Device Manager?  As a named device?  As a virtual com port?

You need a more advanced manual from them that provides details on the connection and the command and message structure.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,318 Views)

Hello,

Please see the attached pic. That is how my laptop recognizes it. I will also contact with the company, but, can you please tell me what kind of specific information i need to set this up? What are the connection, command and message structure types?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,305 Views)

@ersanm wrote:

but, can you please tell me what kind of specific information i need to set this up? What are the connection, command and message structure types?

That's the information only the manufacturer can provide to you as it is device specific.  you mentioned it's USB connected so it narrows it down a bit, but still a lot of open questions.  To name a few.....

Virtual Ports... Assigned COMM port on the PC? baud rate? stop bit? terminating char? parity?  message format? recognized messages?

USB driver... ActiveX functionality? DLL with documented function calls? manufacturer provided wrapper VIs?

You should also be aware, that some USB devices aren't configured to allow easy access via third party software; as the manufacturers either don't consider it important or worthwhile.  Sometimes you have to dig through API functions and registry keys.  Always start by checking with the manufacturer before getting down to specifics with your application program (LabVIEW, C++, VB.NET, MATLAB, etc.)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,294 Views)