LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to increase sample rate of Keithley 2000 multimeter

Hi,

I am using Keithley 2000 meters and labview to measure and record my experimental data. They worked fine for general DAQ, however, one of my recent research projects requires fast sample rate, e.g. greater than 500 S/s. The maximum sample rate I can have now is about 4 S/s at 6.5 resolution using my current VI based on the modification of the original driver. The website claims it can collect up to 2000S/s at 4.5 digits. I tried to set the resolution at 4.5, but still I could not increase my sampling rate. I have attached a simplified VI where I have only one type of measurement. In my actual experiment, it may require up to 6 input signal, e.g.,Volt, current, or resistance, simultaneously . 

P.S. I am using GPIB to USB cable for data communication. Sub VIs are included in the attachments as well.

Thanks.

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,367 Views)

Hi Zhu,

the Keithley DMMs allow faster sampling when using their internal data buffer! There are special commands to configure that buffer and to fetch data from it.

It's all described in the K2000 manual, you only need to read it…

When it comes to aquiring 6 signals in different units (V, A, Ohm) the K2000 needs to switch inputs (do you have a multiplexer card built in?) and signal amplifier too. Both actions need their time (which is specified in the manual) and both actions will reduce your maximum sampling rate!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 3
(3,335 Views)

@AndrewZhu wrote:In my actual experiment, it may require up to 6 input signal, e.g.,Volt, current, or resistance, simultaneously .

I would recommend going to a DAQ card then.  You will need to do some circuitry to get all of those types of measurements, but it shouldn't be anything major.  And then you can sample a lot faster than the Keithley 2000 and have the data logged straight to disk as a TDMS file.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,321 Views)