LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to export code for end users that is cleaned

@MaSta wrote:

Anyway, if the password protection would be serious in LV, it would be secure enough. 

I'm sure NI is open to suggestions, but we've been over this occasionally over the past 2 decades. 

Secure password protection is just not possible.

At least not without a centralized server to do authentication.

LabVIEW needs to access it, so all (any) protection can do is obfuscate the code.

A somewhat midway would be to remove source code, and store DIFR or LLVM. That's not source, but can be used to recompile... I don't see it happen soon.

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 42
(127 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@billko wrote:

@MaSta wrote:

@billko wrote:

VIPM.  That's all you need.  Put the library in its own project, away from the user.lib folder.  Use VIPM to distribute.  Even the free version allows you to make quite comprehensive palette menus.  The pro version even allows you to have it in the right-click --> replace menu.

VIPM is JKI. JKI is an extra tool that you need a licence for. LV 2021 and perhaps a few versions before can make use of NIPKG, but both are just installers. We want to offer a wider range of version compatibility. Not every company has the latest LV. So we thought of starting from LV 2015.

LV 2015 has less options. A lib with stripped source code cannot be loaded in higher versions when created by LV 2015. It seems that the way we had it before (direct export of password protected VIs) is still the best option as this a) is easy to assemble and b) easy to compile by the user. 

It's sad that LV has no good export/portability design at this point.  

True, VIPM is an external package, but it makes everything you are trying very easy.  For instance, multiple different LV versions.  But I do know what a hassle licenses are, especially if you're planning on making money off of it or you are a big company.

AFAIK, JKI PM has a reasonably complete free version.

Features you need might indeed require a license.

I never really read the licensing agreement for VIPM.  It seems that there are no restrictions on the freeware version.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 42
(106 Views)