LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you add an about dialog box to a standalone application?

How do you add an about dialog box to a standalone application?
NI's documentation on this issue is very weak to say the least.

Thanks,
JD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,455 Views)
Basically: if you add a vi titled 'About' to a built app, this VI replaces the LabVIEW Run-Time screen when the menu item About... is selected in the exe.

Check out Jean Pierre Drolet's posts in the following thread on the Lava forums:

http://forums.lavausergroup.org/index.php?showtopic=733
=====================================================
Fading out. " ... J. Arthur Rank on gong."
Message 2 of 6
(2,446 Views)
The help topic "Build Application or Shared Library" has a link to "Caveats and Recomendations" which has a subject called "Consider creating an About dialog box to display information about the application" which includes a link with detailed instructions. Also, in the examples folder, there is an appbuild.llb with a sample About VI. The required copyright notice in that is out of date so you would need to change that.
Message 3 of 6
(2,441 Views)
You would just need to add it in to your source code so it would be there after you build it. You can't change anything about your application after it's built into an executable.

I usually make a subVI that pops up with 'dialog' window settings. Place this in your code so it called from an 'About' button or menu cammand. When I'm using a state machine, it goes in a case named "About" that gets called. If you are using an Event Structure, make a new Event Case that fires on the button press or menu cammand.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,436 Views)

@Donald wrote:
Basically: if you add a vi titled 'About' to a built app, this VI replaces the LabVIEW Run-Time screen when the menu item About... is selected in the exe.

Check out Jean Pierre Drolet's posts in the following thread on the Lava forums:

http://forums.lavausergroup.org/index.php?showtopic=733

I learned something new today, I can go home now. 😉

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,426 Views)
Thanks all...I got it to work but national instruments documentation
on Creating an About Dialog Box for a Stand-Alone Application states
the "The name of the VI must start with About." actually the name of
the vi has to be "about" not just starting with about.

JD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,415 Views)