LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i get started with image acquisition in labview

I am beginning to learn image acquisition in Labview, and I am wondering what driver i need to download, or any other advice/information i need to know to get started. I am using a NI PXI 1409.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,417 Views)

First, you need to know what you are going to do which will help you decide what kind of vision software you need:

NI Vision Software Comparison

Since you are using the PXI 1409, the you will be using the NI-IMAQ 4.1 driver in the Vision Acquisition Software which will be free. I would suggest you download and install that and begin to use it. You can, then decide if you need the Vision Development Module based on what you need to do. If you have any other questions, please post back.

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,412 Views)
Im pretty sure I already have NI IMAQ on the computer, but I dont even know where to start with it. I just got done working with scopes in labview, and there were example vi's in the drivers to read waveforms etc. to use as an example. I remember the readwaveform.vi used many of the other low level vi's in the driver. But, the VI's in the IMAQ driver dont seem to helpful. They all just seem like low level vi's that you cant run alone to acquire an image.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,389 Views)

Hi bonesaw,

Basically, assuming you have installed NI-IMAQ successfully and included LabVIEW support in the installation, you should have examples in your LabVIEW Example Finder. If you open it up and go to Hardware Input and Output»IMAQ»High-Level you would want to see HL Snap.vi and HL Grab.vi. Those are the most basic of examples.

Please post back if you have any questions.

Jeff | LabVIEW Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,372 Views)