From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I execute blocks sequentially that aren't connected?

Dear LabVIEW,
I would like to execute these "JPEGs" sequentially, but I don't really need to pass data between them, so I made up some data to pass around. There must be a better way to do this. How?
Sincerely,
A frustrated LabVIEW user.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,666 Views)

You don't need to pass data from one to the other because you are using a flat sequence structure.  The frames will execute in the order that is laid out.  You need data passing only if you don't use the sequence structure.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,655 Views)

My bad. It appears I had a race condition elsewhere in the program, and I though this was the cause of the erroneous behavior I was experiencing.

Good to know that these film-strip thingies work without input being passed around.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,640 Views)

Actually, those film strip thingies are considered to be bad programming practice.  What if you have an error and need to break out from a frame in the middle to handle the error?  There is no way to do it with sequence structures.  You should consider using a state machine.  There are many examples of state machines if you search for them.  Don't wait for some drastic problem to happen.  Switch to a state machine now and forget about those film strip thingies.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 4 of 4
(2,613 Views)