LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I convert a directory of .vi's to an .exe

I got my application up and running.  It consists of a main.vi with several sub vi's in the same directory.

The instructions make sense for using application builder and getting a .vi to a stand alone .exe for a computer without labview installed for a single .vi

What do you need to do to make sure that the main.vi will have all of the sub vi's available when it gets to the .exe stage of the process. 
Message 1 of 11
(3,046 Views)
Hi Phishnoob,
you can insert all of your dynamic loaded yub vi´s into your exe file. If you do it, you can work with theme in the same way, as if they are all in one directoy.

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,043 Views)

Hello,

When building into executable, all the necessary vi's on the main.vi are going to be compiled to a single .exe. You don't need to do nothing.

I'm not understanding the problem.

Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,037 Views)
I think I have my question answered.  The directions I was reading all referred to showing one .vi being converted to an .exe and I didn't know that you could compile multiple .vi's to a single .exe

This points me in the right direction I think.  Thanks for the replies. 
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,034 Views)
The only reason to explicitly include subVIs is if those VIs are called dynamically. Are they? If not, what you're doing is redundant.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,017 Views)

I am not sure what dynamically means.  I am taking a directory that contains the main.vi, about 15 other vi's that are sub .vis, and a .txt file and trying to make one .exe that is compiled to run stand alone on another computer.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,974 Views)
Hi Phishnoob,
which LabView version do you use? Do you load vi´s dynamically, that means do you use "Open VI Reference" function?

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,971 Views)
If you don't know what dynamically means, then you're probably not calling the VIs dynamically. Smiley Wink

In that case, if you're using LabVIEW 8 you must create a project to create an executable. Add all your VIs to the project, and then create a new build specification which is an exe. The LabVIEW documentation contains lots of information as well as detailed step-by-step instructions on how to create an executable. Have you tried reading it?
Message 8 of 11
(2,969 Views)
Yes I did read it and was confused which was why I posted here.  My only question was the structure of the files and how the sub .vi's were related.  It made total sense for just a single .vi but I got lost when it came to what to do with the sub .vi's.

Thanks everyone!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,960 Views)
Hi Phishnoob,
as smercurio said, create a project file, insert all your vi´s and create a build specification. Insert your main vi as the vi which shall be load and thats it. All your subvi´s if they are not dynamically loaded, are automatically in your exe file.

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,948 Views)