LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use the write palette.vi in an application when it is not supported by run time engine

I am making an application, that is used for distribution, to create a palette. In my VI I take the VIs in a file and create a palette with them using the write palette VI. When I run the VI it works perfectly, but when I build it into a .exe I get the attached error. Is there a way around this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 26
(2,898 Views)

That makes sense that it doesn't work because you aren't running it inside of LabVIEW.  Therefore, there is no palette to write to.  What you could do is create a *.mnu file and just put it in a location so that LabVIEW will notice it next time it is started.

If LabVIEW is running, you may be able to invoke the paltte write or refresh via VI Server.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 26
(2,890 Views)
What is the point of creating a palette when you have no block diagram or any way to modify the code?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 26
(2,877 Views)

Ok, I will try editing my vi to create a dumby *.mnu file to be called for the write palette.vi.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 26
(2,870 Views)

Once the application creates the *.mnu file the palette can be accessed from the block diagram on any VI on that computer.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 26
(2,863 Views)

What is it that you are trying to accomplish? What is the point of the operation?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 26
(2,862 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:

What is it that you are trying to accomplish? What is the point of the operation?

Mike...

Seems like somebody is trying to write a VIPM.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 26
(2,849 Views)
Since everyone using it would have the deployment system, just distribute the VI. An exe seems pointless. With an mnu, the palette will be automatically updated with a restart of LabVIEW anyway. An actual mnu with items should be used. Why a dummy palette with no items?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 26
(2,847 Views)

Tried calling the application after creating the *.mnu file and calling it still received the same error.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 26
(2,836 Views)

The files does create a *.mnu with items the write palette.vi has to take an empty cluster of items any way before it can bundle the items like in the create palette.vi example so was giving what zealot said a shot. That is true everyone would have the deployment system. Trying to make an application because I was told to, if there is not away I will settle with distributing the VI.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 26
(2,830 Views)