LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphical programming of Sequence profiles

When doing test stands its a very common requirement to allow the user to input a profiled pattern for a test parameter like RPM , Pressure , Flow etc. IF you the attached image you will be clear what i mean - i have shown a typical RPM profile for one cycle of test sequence. Maybe this cycle will be repeated thousands of time.  And this pattern might vary ( magnitude of  levels as well as number of points ) . So the normal method is to provide a Multi Column list box with a Column for X values and another for Y values.  While this works its not very intutive... better would be if the user can graphically create this profile data - maybe by "pulling" the profile line with cursor and positioning as required. Is there any tool for this kind of thing or anyone has attempted one such ?

Typical RPM Profile.png

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,132 Views)

This isn't very difficult to do, and would be an excellent "learning exercise" to teach you about cursors.  I wonder if doing a Web search for "LabVIEW Cursor" would be productive.  (Answer:  yes).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,118 Views)

...and you'll want to provide a way for a user to fine-tune the coordinates.  I'm no gui guru, but when I did a kinda sorta similar thing, there was a distinct way to *add* a new point and a different way to *edit* an existing point.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,107 Views)

How about making an Excel template to design the profiles then load the profile into your program?

Just save the Excel output as a .CSV file and you can read it with the "Read Delimited Spreadsheet" VI.

To me this makes more sense anyway as instead of having to create a profile every time, you can have a bunch of predefined profiles ready to load and run.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 4 of 6
(3,096 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

How about making an Excel template to design the profiles then load the profile into your program?

Just save the Excel output as a .CSV file and you can read it with the "Read Delimited Spreadsheet" VI.

To me this makes more sense anyway as instead of having to create a profile every time, you can have a bunch of predefined profiles ready to load and run.

Yes ... this may be a good idea instead of messing around with cursors. Will look into this .. thanks 

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,063 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

This isn't very difficult to do, and would be an excellent "learning exercise" to teach you about cursors.  I wonder if doing a Web search for "LabVIEW Cursor" would be productive.  (Answer:  yes).

Bob Schor

Yes I am on it ... located a link which tells about the various ways the cursor can be implemented. But have as of now no clue how to deploy it ... will continue reading.

Thanks

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,062 Views)