From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global replace between global sheets?

My application has grown slowly. And gradually my global variable sheet has grown far too large to display on one screen. A well-known bad idea.

I would like to re-factor my program by moving a subset of these globals to a new, second global sheet. But a lot of them are referenced in many places, and I cannot find a way to do a global-replace of "Volumes" on Globals 1.vi with "Volumes" on Globals 2.vi. Is there any mechanism to do this? Even a third-party solution?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,009 Views)

What do you mean by "global sheet"?  I've never heard of that term with LabVIEW before.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,999 Views)

Regarding "global sheet", I'd suspect the meaning is the global VI expanded to full screen (or whatever is considered an allowable maximum size) now still requires scroll bars to see the collection of variables.

As to moving to a second global VI, you can certainly do that, but I wouldn't expect there are any built-in tools to help you.

A better option (given the likelyhood of manual intervention) is to check that you really need so many global variables. Could you consider changing your architecture to use more direct data-passing methods (value, notifier, queue, refnum as needed, etc?)

Obviously this depends on your code, and to a certain extent your target (globals seem to be more common on FPGA, for example) but it might simplify managing your code (and particularly aid in any future changes, especially with careful use of typedefs, etc).

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,949 Views)

"Hey boss, I need a bigger monitor"

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,911 Views)