LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback about Linux Real Time Design ?

Hi guys,

I was wondering about using new Linux Real Time Design.

Any of you guys have already implemented some applications using it ?

What are the advantages disadvantage that you recognized using this technology over Windows PC app communicating to your cRIO app ?

Did you oversized your cRIO choice because i have heard Human Machine Interface took ressource (how much) from those new cRIO like 9035 for instance ?

This is a general post over design architectures...

BR,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,892 Views)

@Vincent90 wrote:

What are the advantages disadvantage that you recognized using this technology over Windows PC app communicating to your cRIO app ?

This question is quite confusing.  Linux RT runs on the cRIOs.  Comparing it to Windows is apples and oranges.

Or are you just asking about the brand new cRIOs that have the HMI built in (the 903X series)?  If that is the case, NI already upgraded the processor and RAM in order to handle the HMI aspect.  The designs should be simpler for these since you do not have to make another application and set up the communications between the HMI computer and the cRIO.  NI increased the processing specs enough that I would not worry about any extra jitter that the HMI part may incur on your application.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,867 Views)

Thank you Crossrulz for that reply,

The question is quite confusing indeed since in previous cRIO you had to map your application to a windows app. Those new cRIO run Linux RT for cRIO app and HMI app. Regarding hardware configuration, you can delete a PC on your test bench and just use a panel PC to interface with 903X series MiniDisplayPort. That's a huge change and i didn't implement app using this new cRIO yet. My main concern is about ressources and limitations that Linux RT HMI bring to the system.

According to you there are no incidence having this HMI running in cRIO ? What about other experiences ?

Somewhere the fact a HMI which needn't real time execution run under a cRIO mean HMI will use ressources the real time app couldn't use... Even if NI processed spec enough to get both running it might change real time allowed ressources isn't it ?

BR,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,856 Views)

No more feedback ? 😞

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,830 Views)

From what I have heard, the handling of the HMI can be a bit of a tax on the resources of the cRIO. Also don't expect the same versatility and all as you get on a desktop system, where the OS has been designed to be specifically responsive to user input. The cRIO is still a RT system and handling the lower level tasks deterministically has a higher priority than creating a smooth, glitchless HMI interface.

Personally I don't feel that the build in HMI is such a big advantage, but your mileage may wary. Our systems are usually complex enough with additional hardware that needs to be controlled besides cRIO that the extra computer is often unavoidable or at least a negligable extra investment in comparison to all the rest.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,820 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Personally I don't feel that the build in HMI is such a big advantage, but your mileage may wary. Our systems are usually complex enough with additional hardware that needs to be controlled besides cRIO that the extra computer is often unavoidable or at least a negligable extra investment in comparison to all the rest.

Yeah I agree, I don't think you are often going to replace an old cRIO and Windows PC with a new cRIO and HMI.  Sure there are cases where all you need to do is control some hardware, but often times you need to interface with databases, setup configuration, report generation, custom sequencing, etc, and those things can be difficult or impossible to do from the RT OS alone.

Those times when you can use a single device to do your embedded real time, and UI display and control is quite impressive.

Another use I see is for debugging purposes.  Just plug in a monitor and mouse and see the UI's you setup with various information about the current state of the system.  I'm thining something quite ugly with lots of tabs, but if I'm not getting the data I expect on my Windows PC, I'd probably start on my RT machine to see that the data is correct there first.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,795 Views)

Hi guys,

It confirms what i thought about those new cRIO.

Now, I'd like to see how this new HMI is implemented (same as a Windows HMI? same complexity ? subpanel usable ?) by adding new  virtual 903x cRIO but with my LabVIEW 2013 SP1 i can't... I guess LabVIEW 2014 is needed but lots of our clients applications are still running in 2013... So i can't process the test right now !

I'd like to thank you all for your feedback !

BR,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,758 Views)