Our online shopping is experiencing intermittent service disruptions.

Support teams are actively working on the resolution.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback Nodes: Global Initialization Differences for LabVIEW FPGA?

Question:

When working with LabVIEW FPGA, is there any difference between the initialization options for feedback nodes when a constant is wired, specifically between the "Initialize On Compile Or Load" and "Initialize on First Call" options? I'm interested in the potential differences with regard to behavior/functionality as well as FPGA implementation considerations (e.g. FPGA resources, timing, etc.).

Initial Thoughts:

My instinct says that "Compile or Load" sets these nodes to be hard wired such that the only way to reset them is to re-download the bitfile to the FPGA. As such, I thought it would naturally ignore the reset method, but then there is a checkbox in the feedback node properties specifically to ignore the reset signal when this option is selected. A secondary question is whether this option can be safely checked if I'm re-downloading the bitfile every time I use it anyway and never use the Reset method.

For "First Call", it's hard for me to understand what this might mean for an FPGA bitfile. Is it each time I call Run/Abort in the Host? Or is it each time the bitfile is loaded, in which case how is it any different from the "Compile or Load" option?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(289 Views)

If you abort and re-run your bitfile without re-deploying it, you will have shift registers which retain old values upon restarting if you enable "compile" initialisation. If these are simply delays in computations, it probably won't be a huge deal but if they're information for state machines, weird things might happen.

"Ignore reset" kind of does sound like it does the same thing so I think there may be a difference between a reset and a re-deploy. Don't have experience here, sorry.

We always deploy upon restart, so we always choose the "init on compile" and "ignore reset" options.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(281 Views)