LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 0xC0000006: Cannot Open VI

Hello All

I have recently taken over an engineering position at my company and am working with some existing LabVIEW VI's. The majority of them are working normally, but I have one VI I simply cannot open. I'm not sure if it is a problem from before I started or something on my new computer.

I'm using LabVIEW 2016 (32-bit, 16.0f5) and when I try to open the VI (either manually or via the project) it will wait a long time and then give me this error:

Labview Crash.JPG

The file itself is very large (57MB) and much bigger than any other VI's in our system. Unfortunately, since this was created before I started, I don't actually know what is in the VI.

Has anyone encountered this error before or how I might get around it? Every other VI we have has worked fine with my computer setup.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,613 Views)

Hi Eric,

The file itself is very large (57MB) and much bigger than any other VI's in our system.

Such huge VIs can be problematic IMHO! (The bigger the VI file, the more error prone…)

While I cannot give advice on how to open such an erranous VI I can suggest you to look for backups of that old source code. Does your company use any kind of source control system (like SVN or GIT)? Do they use any kind of revisions using old backups? Anything you could pick an older version of this VI from?

When you answer all those questions with "No!" then your first task should be to implement such a SCC system!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,607 Views)

We don't have a source control system in place (I think because there was only one engineer working on the software). I'm looking to implement such a system though, to keep track of changes.

Our IT department does have a backup system in place so we can restore older versions of files. Unfortunately, when I accessed it, there were no previous versions available. I'm not sure if it was because of an error, or the backups are removed after a certain amount of time, but I can't restore from an older version.

Regards

Eric Iwasenko

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,600 Views)

Hi Eric,

then your next best bet is to contact the developer of this VI (or to read some documentation) to learn what this VI is supposed to do!

(You might try to contact your local NI support for help. Maybe they can offer some help in reading/opening the VI.)

We don't have a source control system in place (I think because there was only one engineer working on the software).

Now you know why it is useful to use SCC software - even for just one developer…

(One more argument when discussing with your IT department.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,597 Views)

Heck, I even use source control at home.  It allows you to code with reckless abandon, not being afraid to try things because you know you can always go back in time and erase your mistakes.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,584 Views)