LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit items in ring within XControl

I have an XControl that contains a ring control within it (among other things). When the XControl facade is dropped onto the front panel, is there a way to access the "Edit Items..." dialog for the ring control so that I can add items to it within the XControl facade? I am gathering that XControls do not automatically inherit the properties of its constituent controls. I can make a simple customized dialog for editing the ring items, but the LV stock dialog for this task is so nice...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,127 Views)

Hi sandsbl,

I see that you're using Xcontrols. I don't believe you can access it from that point, and I  believe you'll have to backstep a bit to edit the items. This link shows a bit more about creating and editing Xcontrols. 

Hope this helps!

Lea D.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,112 Views)

Well, to work around it I'm using a custom dialog that responds to the XControl's right-click menu. I can certainly understand why you would not want to have access to the subcomponent's context menus within an XControl, but I had assumed there was a way to override this (similar to say Java where you can have control over how events generated in lower level objects are handled) so that a right click over any subcomponent could bring up its menu and not the XControl's menu.

Another way to do this would be to programmatically popup that components Properties dialog, but I'm not sure how or if this can be done in LabView either? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,104 Views)

Hi sandsbl,

I'm glad you found a workaround for this.  I can't think of a way to popup the components from within LabVIEW. I know that you can popup windows programically where the user has buttons to choose and that user-input can be used in the program, but that isn't going to open up a properties dialog from the LabVIEW software. It's just going to show the user whatever you program it to.

Lea D.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,083 Views)