cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers for BK Precision 894

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

My goal is to use LabVIEW to control the BK Precision 894 LCR Meter to automate my testing. 

I am trying to use the BK Precision 894 using the examples in this driver for LabVIEW 2017:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=4C451D655D0A07CDE05400144FFAB0...

I keep getting the error: 

Error -1073807339 occurred at VISA Read in BK Precision 894.lvlib:Initialize.vi->BK Precision 894 Configure and Run Sweep Operation.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

I can see the driver in NI MAX using either USB or Ethernet. When I use USB I get the timeout error, with Ethernet there is a red x by the name and it says 'Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.'

I don't know how to connect my computer to the instrument correctly. All help is appreciated.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,781 Views)

The drivers page says to make sure that USBTMC is enabled on your device before connecting to the computer, have you done that? If so, I would refer to the programmer's manual and try to send some test commands through NI MAX. If you send a query of "*IDN?" it should respond with device make and model.

Message 2 of 7
(3,769 Views)

Hello gregoryj,

Thank you for helping me with this. You are correct, when I use USBTMC it does work! However when I try to use the LAN connection I cannot get the VISA to connect. I can connect to the meter using my web browser, but I can't connect using NI MAX.

Any idea why this is?

Thank you again,

Reed

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,759 Views)

gregoryj,

I tried to get this to work. But each time I try to connect I get the error 0xBFF0011 Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system. I have checked I can ping the meter, but the web page does not come back after unplugging and plugging back in. Not sure if that is a part of that problem. I am also not sure which port I should be using, and none of the documentation seems to indicate anything either. I am trying to use port 6001. 

Thank you for your help.

Reed

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,751 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rsanchez92

Ok, it sounds like you're most of the way there. Page 76 of the user manual has some info on LAN setup, but I don't think it will add any info you don't already know. I would either use the USB connection or call BK tech support and see if they can get you setup. 

Looking at the LabVIEW driver, it shouldn't care whether you are using USB, GPIB, or LAN, you just have to get the VISA resource name correct.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,740 Views)

gregoryj,

Thank you for your help. I saw the same thing in the LabVIEW driver. It looks like I will be calling BK tech support. 

Reed

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,738 Views)