LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag functions across large block diagram

II have a very large block diagram (at Least 10000x 50000 pixels)

I use the Navigation pane to move around quickly, however is there a quick way to drag opbjects/functions from one area to another quickly.

At the moment I drag them one screen distance at a time, which takes forever. If I drag only until the scoill bar, scrolling does occur while the drag is in process but it is very slow (faster to do what I am doing)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,972 Views)
If you hold down the shift key, that will accelerate the drag but the real solution is make your block diagram size something reasonable. An established rule-of-thumb is to make the block diagram size no larger than a single screen. You do this by using subVIs and avoiding flat sequence structures.
Message 2 of 15
(3,968 Views)

RS7 wrote:

II have a very large block diagram (at Least 10000x 50000 pixels)

I use the Navigation pane to move around quickly, however is there a quick way to drag opbjects/functions from one area to another quickly.

At the moment I drag them one screen distance at a time, which takes forever. If I drag only until the scoill bar, scrolling does occur while the drag is in process but it is very slow (faster to do what I am doing)

First!

Backup that code!*

Please follow Dennis' suggestion about avoiding flat seq structures and using sub-VI's.

Ben

* When last I heard, a LabVIEW diagram will blow up when one of the dimension reaches 65k or there abouts. You are in danger of loosing all of your work if you fail to back it up and the diagram grows too large.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 15
(3,962 Views)

If for some reason I have to move something accross a large distance (either FP or BD), select the object to move, move the panel (via scroll bars or navigation window) and select something in the target region, then I align the items or distribute them next to each other.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 4 of 15
(3,949 Views)

TonP wrote:

If for some reason I have to move something accross a large distance (either FP or BD),

1) select the object to move,

2)move the panel (via scroll bars or navigation window) and

3)select something in the target region, then I

4)align the items or distribute them next to each other.

Ton

[Enumeration added] 

Nice Nugget Ton!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,946 Views)
Shift and drag does move things faster.  However, if the block diagram is that large, having the navigation window open makes things slower as LabVIEW has to recalculate what to show in the Navigation window at each step of the move.  So for long moves in a large block diagram, close the navigation window first.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,929 Views)

I too struggle with large block diagrams :(.  I'll get about 100 or so SubVIs going, and still have a large block diagram. 

I'm getting better at breaking things into smaller chunks... but it is still a challenge for me.  I did not know about the "shift" feature.  Thanks!

That will come in handy.

Still, a nice future feature of LabVIEW would be the ability to "zoom out" on the block diagram :).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,921 Views)

You could also just cut (Ctrl-x) and paste (Ctrl-v) the code snippet to move. This will break all wires connected, but I guess you don't want to move items 10000 pixels while still connecting to the same wires?! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,910 Views)

dan_u wrote:

..., but I guess you don't want to move items 10000 pixels while still connecting to the same wires?! Smiley Wink

I fear you may be wrong about that one.

Ben

Message 9 of 15
(3,901 Views)

Ben wrote:

dan_u wrote:

..., but I guess you don't want to move items 10000 pixels while still connecting to the same wires?! Smiley Wink

I fear you may be wrong about that one.

Ben

I actually fear so, too Smiley Wink

I just hope it's not the case Smiley Happy

I hope I'll never have to work on that VI Smiley Indifferent

Message 10 of 15
(3,897 Views)