LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailed Help Loads Slowly

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently started at a new company and was able to set myself up with LabVIEW with their enterprise license.

I've been struggling with an issue though: Via Context Help, clicking on Detailed Help freezes LabVIEW

(with a loading mouse indicator) for ~45 seconds until it loads the topic in the NI Offline Help Viewer. With the Viewer open, clicking another topic results in another ~45 second freeze and load.

Is LabVIEW trying to reach an -Online- help before failing over to an Offline Help Viewer, or is everyone directed to the Offline Help Viewer outright.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(759 Views)

@arccosined wrote:

I recently started at a new company and was able to set myself up with LabVIEW with their enterprise license.

I've been struggling with an issue though: Via Context Help, clicking on Detailed Help freezes LabVIEW

(with a loading mouse indicator) for ~45 seconds until it loads the topic in the NI Offline Help Viewer. With the Viewer open, clicking another topic results in another ~45 second freeze and load.

Is LabVIEW trying to reach an -Online- help before failing over to an Offline Help Viewer, or is everyone directed to the Offline Help Viewer outright.

Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe!  I think there is an ini setting that tells LV not to try online help, but I forget what it is.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(733 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author arccosined

What version of LabVIEW is this?  Is it 2022 or newer?  I think that's when online help started.

You can try turning it off by following these instructions. 

1. From the Windows start menu, navigate to National Instruments » NI Help Preferences.
  2. In the NI Help Preferences window, disable Use online help.
  3. Click Apply.

Copied from this page:

https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/flexlogger/page/changing-ni-help-preferences.html

Even on older versions I do find that the local help would take a while to load the first time I clicked it for anything though...

Message 3 of 4
(718 Views)

Thank you Kyle97330!

This was exactly what I needed. Offline help loads right away and should be fine for my needs.

Thanks for everyone's help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(692 Views)