From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customization: Is it possible to replace the arrow of a gauge by another figure?

My current project is to make an interface to an aircraft simulation. Basically I wanted to make it to resemble a cockpit as much as possible, meaning having controls that resemble the yoke, column, and rudder pedals. I am starting with the yoke and I basically thought of a control with a +/- X degrees of rotation and a gauge to display the current position. I would like to replace the arrow on the gauge with a picture of a handwheel oriented in the same way as the arrow. Is this possible, and if so, simple enough to be feasible? My other option is to use a flight simulator to show a cockpit but since I  dont need the full simulation engine this uses alot of memory for nothing. Suggestions/reccomendations?

Thanks.

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,062 Views)

Yes it is possible to replace the needle with other objects but unfortunatly there is a bug that prevents it from rotating properly.

There are two other options.

1) Create a picture ring with as many images as required to give you the resolution you want. This is not a good option.

2) Use a picture control to represent the background and then render the arrow with the proper orientation and postition. This will take some work but should work.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 6
(4,047 Views)
You could also try ActiveX controls, as mentioned in this thread.
Message 3 of 6
(4,044 Views)
Hey thanks for the suggestions guys. I am probably going to use the activeX for the diplays but I still have to build the controls (handwheel, column, pedals) and I wanted to use your suggestion Ben, Picture control.

I was wondering if you could give me a more indepth explanantion as to how exactly I should go about it. Nothing too crazy just something to get me started.

Thanks again,

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,020 Views)

In the picture control thread you should have a link to this thread were we helped Martin implement a dash board. Start with that.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,015 Views)
When I download the dashboard vi, (1_3D_3.vi) The buttons for optik quit, horn quit, and switch displ off are huge and dispropertioned. Is it supposed to be like that? I am running Labview 8.2.

Thanks again.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,005 Views)