From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Voltage to Sound

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I am completely new to LabVIEW, and would like to convert the voltage from an STM into a sound wave that the operator can hear and respond accordingly. Any input on how to go about this is appreciated! Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,823 Views)

STM:

Scanning Tunneling Microscope
Smiling To Myself
Short Term Memory
Software Transactional Memory
Strut-And-Tie Model
Security and Trust Management
Source to Target Mapping
Software Test Management
Signaling Traffic Management
Small Text Message
Security Threat Mitigation
Secure Text Messaging
Synchronous Transmission Mode
Satellite Town Meeting

...  ?

Do you mean you are getting a sound waveform from an instrument (STM?) and want to output it to a speaker?

Recently somebody invented a device called an amplifier that might work for you.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,806 Views)

The simplest way to convert voltage to sound would be to connect the voltage source to a speaker.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 3 of 6
(1,803 Views)
Solution
Accepted by MightyWings

Voltage to Sound.png

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

Message 4 of 6
(1,785 Views)

Sorry, I should be more specific. A scanning tunneling microscope. As the tip of the microscope gets closer to the scanned surface, the voltage generated from the circuit (Tip to surface) gets exponentially higher, and if an atom is picked up from a surface, the voltage fluctuates as that atom bounces from tip to surface. The ideal goal would be to write a sound VI that translates this voltage fluctuation into an audible signal that the operator can hear and respond accordingly to.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,743 Views)

Do you happen to know the range of voltage measurement you might get when the tip nears and touches?

You could approach this multiple ways,

1. Frequency of sound proportional to the voltage measured
  2. Fixed frequency but volume proportional to the voltage measured
  3. beep interval proportional to voltage measured
Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 6 of 6
(1,732 Views)