LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Gif aninimation

I want to make simple animation and be able to stop it and run it by demand

I try to add gif into simple vi using Activex container (like i seen arlier at the forum)
i dwonload from http://www.jcomsoft.com/anigif.htm (ocx gif controller)
install it into Activex container(rigth click ->selecting "from fille" and pressing on ocx file)

According to instruction-> press right click onto Activex Container ->properties->selecting the gif fille
- but there is no mention about selecting any files?!?!

Mybe i was wrong mybe i forgetting something i don't know

Thank's any help
eyal

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 41
(9,706 Views)
If you want to show/hide a gif image, you can change the image of a control (by customizing the control) and make it visible of invisible. See attached VI.

See link to know how to customize a Boolean control.
BR
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 41
(9,673 Views)

I never found a method to CONTROL gif's.

In post #94 of this thread I posted some code that was a community project to allow easy inclusion of emoticons into forum postings. It has a an Import function that lets you grab images from gif's and adds them to a palette from which you can choose your emoticon. You may wat to review that thread for the code and the associated instructions since I beleive some of the techniques I used in that code code be of use to you.

Take a look at the code that does the Import.

Take care,

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 08-07-2008 07:51 AM
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 41
(9,666 Views)

Hi eyal,

you can read the gif file as binary data and create the different images which are in this file to show them in labview, maybe in a picture ring. You can then use a loop to show it. You can also read the time between the single pictures to connect it to a wait function. If you are able to show all pictures in a picture ring then you can use events to start or stop the animation.

Hope it helps.

Mike 

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 08-19-2008 07:56 PM
Message 4 of 41
(9,606 Views)

Mike wrote

"you can read the gif file as binary data and create the different images which are in this file to show them in labview, ..."

I have never cracked that nut. Do you have code that will read (or even better write) a gif?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 41
(9,583 Views)

Hi Ben,

i´m currently writing a code to read gif files. I need some more tests and if i´m ready i will post it here. I know your icon consists of 4 states. Smiley Wink I think a can post it at weekend.

Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 08-20-2008 02:54 PM
Message 6 of 41
(9,581 Views)

Mega-stars for you Mike!

That would make a nice Nugget. Smiley Wink

Ben

Message 7 of 41
(9,571 Views)

Image Toolbox support read/write gif file.

http://www.geocities.com/gzou999

Animated gif has a different file format though.

George Zou
Message 8 of 41
(9,554 Views)

I have personally used a pict ring for controlled animation.  It works very well (my first effort was the electric discharge on the load screen of the NI-SCOPE Soft Front Panel, version 1.0).  The major problem to using this is that there does not appear to be a programmatic way to load the images.  This limits its usefulness to about ten frames (depending on your patience), but I have never really needed more than that.

As mentioned earlier, you control this by changing the value of the pict ring in a time fashion.  Event timeouts or a timed loop would probably work best.  I did this so long ago I used a while loop and delay.

Note that if you use an animation while loading code from disk (i.e. a load screen), you should load your code bottom up and one VI at a time to allow the UI time to animate your image.  Otherwise, the UI thread will be essentially locked out by the load, leading to no real animation.

This account is no longer active. Contact ShadesOfGray for current posts and information.
Message 9 of 41
(9,519 Views)

Hi eyal,

attached you will find the vi´s which shows what i meant. Open the Gif.Example.vi.

Hi Ben,

it´s not a nugget, but here is the code. Smiley Happy

I write also a LV71 version, i will upload it soon. 

Hope it helps.

Mike

Message 10 of 41
(9,486 Views)