LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about PFI usage

This sounds like you have issues with the external connections. Is port 0 already connected to other parts of your DUT?

--- I meant making the connections via the PFI mechanism.  I don't have the cables / breakout boxes to do it physically.

As long as the frequency of your clock signal does not exceed 10MHz, you can use the PXI backplane to route the clock signal from the 6602 to the 6221. But you are correct, this is only possible if you know and use the correct assignments for PFI/TTL lines.....

But that's just it - I get the "Hardware doesn't support it" error when I try to make that connection. 6602 CTR x OUTPUT to 6221 Port 1 Line 0.

it will connect to Port 0 Line 0, but that's the one that won't read clocked Digital input.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 24
(314 Views)

Steve,

i think you should take a look into this example. Make sure that your setup is similar.

If you have both devices in the same PXI segment, you should be able to simply replace the clock source terminal of the DIO 6221 port 0 with the internal output terminal of the counter of the 6602 you want to use for clocking the DIO. DAQmx should create routes using the backplane automatically.

Possible sources of errors: TTL lines of the chassis are already used or reserved otherwise.

OK, havent have a system here to check it with hardware devices, but this essentially should do the trick.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 24
(304 Views)

I looked at your example. Thanks for posting it.

Unfortunately, that doesn't get it done.

That example uses the counter on one board as a CLOCK for a DI task on another board.

While that's necessary for what I want to do, it's not sufficient, because I want to connect a different counter output to the DIGITAL IN line.

IOW, this example is monitoring a physical DI line.  I want to monitor a CTR OUT line. Without making a physical connection.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 24
(300 Views)

I can route /6602/Ctr0InternalOutput to /6221/PFI0, without errors.

But PFI 0 is port 1 on that board.

If I try to run a clocked DI task on port 1, it will not let me ("must use lines that support buffered operations").

If there's a way to connect to P0.0 on that board, I don't see it.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 24
(298 Views)