Did you mean: 

CAS-140 spectral photometer

Hi there,

does anyone know where to find a LV-driver for the device above? It's a
compact array spectrometer from Instrument Systems. It is shipped with a
pci interface card with some trigger i/o and a controlling software
running under Win95.

In case there is no LV driver available, can I build up a communication
between the devices software and LV? How to do this?
(Sorry for my stupid question, but so far I only worked with GPIB and
RS232-devices.)

Thanks for your help,
\Ulli.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,045 Views)
Hello,

You may want to check with the manufacturer of this hardware to see if they have any LabVIEW software available for controlling it. If not, you have a few options. On the off chance that the CAS-140 controlling software has ActiveX functionality you can interface with it through a LabVIEW ActiveX container or refnum. This is unlikely, however. You can ask the manufacturer if their software works with ActiveX. If not, you could use the System Exec VI in LabVIEW to programmatically launch the controlling software...you wouldn't have any programmatic control over the software once it is launched, but at least this would allow you *some* control through LabVIEW.

One other suggestion...the controlling software most probably uses a DLL to communicate wit
h the hardware...if you find out from the manufacturer the available functions in this DLL, you can use a Call Library Node in LabVIEW to programmatically call the DLL and perform hardware functions. You can find more information on using Call Library Nodes in the NI Developer Zone (www.ni.com/zone).

I hope one of these suggestions gets you started in the right direction. Good luck with your application and have a pleasant day.

Sincerely,
Darren N.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,045 Views)