LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build installer with NI-RFSA

Trying to build a LabVIEW 8.0.1 installer with NI-RFSA 2.0.7 as one of the "additional installers".  The installer builds fine, but when I run the installer, I get "Fatal Error!! Required NIPathsDir property LV85DIR is undefined" and the installer exits.

What, exactly, needs to be included in an RFSA installer (e.g., the documentation for NI-RFSA says it includes DAQmx, NI-SCOPE and MAX already).  Do I also need to include the LV 8.5 runtime engine?

JoeG
Joe Gerhardstein
Viasat
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Developer
Certified Professional Instructor
http://www.viasat.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,585 Views)

Hi JoeG,

I believe what may be happening is that the NI-RFSA needs a specific folder to exist on your stand alone PC so that it can install default directories (i.e. My Documents, My Pictures, etc.). Either these folders might not exist or are on a network drive. To fix this problem you have two options either edit the properties of the My Documents folder or edit a Windows registry key. More information on this process can be found in the following KnowledgeBase:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/FEC14156DCF364908625733E004E7A01?OpenDocument

Let me know if this resolves your issue. Thanks!

Cheers,

Jonah
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Jonah Paul
Marketing Manager, NI Software
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,570 Views)
Thanks for the KB link - I didn't find that one while searching.

I tried the suggestions, however, no luck.  The installer fails with the same error on 3 target computers, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the build environment.  However, I have the same problem with installers created in LV 8.0.1 and LV 8.5.1, so something weird. 

Time to open a service request...
Joe Gerhardstein
Viasat
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,552 Views)
Figured it out.  Some additional digging led to the use of the "setup.exe /log logfile.txt" command, which can be run from the command line (shell).  This generates a log file which I used to find my problem.

See attached image.

In the Shortcuts section of my installer, I specified a subdirectory with the forward slash (/) instead of the normal windows backward slash (\). 

NI: Please please please add this to your KB article on this problem.  Also please please please consider flagging this error in the installer builder.  There are many illegal characters for Windows that are well documented.  I know this builder is probably cross-platform, but we know what the target platform is here!
Joe Gerhardstein
Viasat
Message 4 of 7
(3,549 Views)

JoeG,

Thank you very much for researching into this issue further. As you suggested I will be updating the KB that I originally pointed you to within the next few weeks. Again thanks, it is customers like yourself that help to continually improve LabVIEW.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Jonah
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Jonah Paul
Marketing Manager, NI Software
Message 5 of 7
(3,526 Views)
Joe,

Thanks for investigating the log file and finding the issue. I have filed a corrective action request with ID 114402 for tracking purposes.

Regards,
Bob Preis

Joe Gerhardstein wrote:
Figured it out.  Some additional digging led to the use of the "setup.exe /log logfile.txt" command, which can be run from the command line (shell).  This generates a log file which I used to find my problem.

See attached image.

In the Shortcuts section of my installer, I specified a subdirectory with the forward slash (/) instead of the normal windows backward slash (\). 

NI: Please please please add this to your KB article on this problem.  Also please please please consider flagging this error in the installer builder.  There are many illegal characters for Windows that are well documented.  I know this builder is probably cross-platform, but we know what the target platform is here!

Message 6 of 7
(3,509 Views)

Thank you Very much.

This solved my problem too:

Fatal Error!! Required NIPathsDir property MOZILLADIR is undefined

Message 7 of 7
(3,385 Views)