LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to run a LabVIEW VI written for Windows in a MAC OSx environment

Solved!
Go to solution

I have written a VI in LabVIEW 8.6 under Windows XP and compiled it into a .exe.  Now I want to run this executable on a MAC OSx machine.  What is the best way to do this without having to purchase a LabVIEW for MAC license or Windows VM software for the MAC?

Thank you,

cjl

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,731 Views)

There is no other way. Any exe you create with LabVIEW or other programming languages is going to be OS specific.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,730 Views)

So, we can buy the Windows VM dual boot option for the MAC and the exe will run under that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,727 Views)

I do not use a Mac so I cannot guarantee anything. There have been posts on the subject. Have you done a search?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,722 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cjlandry

cjl,

Yes, that should run.   Except.... Does your program use any hardware?  Does it use any Windows-specific functions (from the Platform folder)? Does it rely on a particular video driver or soundcard? Does it rely on right click mouse actions?  All of these kinds of things may or may not work because they are closely linked between the Windows OS and the underlying computer hardware.  While the software itself will problaby execute, the programmay not work as expected if some of these dependencies are handled differently by the Apple hardware.

I have not used VM but running native under Bootcamp works pretty well, again allowing for the issues mentioned above.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,716 Views)

Yes, I did a search prior to posting my question and found lots of information but nothing as simple as my question.

Thanks Lynn, that helps a lot.  Fortunately, all my VI uses is a serial port and I hope configuring a serial port on the MAC is easy to do?

cjl

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,707 Views)

Of course Macs have not had native RS-232 ports for ~20 years, if ever (RS-422 I think).  Suitable USB<->RS-232 adapters work OK.  If your serial device expect to steal power from the port, you may have problems regardless of OS.

You should be OK.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,697 Views)