From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Builder Version Compatability

Hello all, 

I'm fairly new to Labview, so this question may be redundant...

I have a .vi that I would like to make into an application for use on machines without Labview.  I have installed the Application Builder for Labview 2011, but I have been using Labvew 2010.  Do I need to upgrade to Labview 2011 to use the Application Builder successfully?

If so, then I will be very upset - I could not find the Application Builder for Labview 2010 on the NI products page...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,378 Views)

An additional piece of info:

When I click on the lvapp icon in my AppLibs folder, I get a dialog box with the title "Select File to Open".  When I select my file, I get a message saying "LabVIEW: VI version is too early to convert to the current LabVIEW version.  An error occurred while loading VI 'vi name here'.  LabVIEW load error code 10: VI version (10.0) is too old to convert to the current LabVIEW version (11.0)"

Does anyone know a workaround without upgrading to Labview 2011?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,375 Views)

You're asking a few different questions here, so let's handle them one by one:

I have a .vi that I would like to make into an application for use on machines without Labview.  I have installed the Application Builder for Labview 2011, but I have been using Labvew 2010.  Do I need to upgrade to Labview 2011 to use the Application Builder successfully?

Why did you install the Application Build for LabVIEW 2011 if you have LabVIEW 2010? Which edition of LabVIEW 2010 do you have? Is it the Base or Full? These editions do not include the Application Builder, but the Application Builder can be purchased separately if you have these. It's automatically included in the Professional and Developer Suite editions. If you purchased the Application Builder you should have purchased the one for LabVIEW 2010, not the one for LabVIEW 2011.

If so, then I will be very upset - I could not find the Application Builder for Labview 2010 on the NI products page...

It's on the Addons page: http://www.ni.com/labview/buy/?addons6. However, with the release of 2011, only the one for 2011 will be shown. You would need to contact NI directly to get the 2010 version.

When I click on the lvapp icon in my AppLibs folder, I get a dialog box with the title "Select File to Open".  When I select my file, I get a message saying "LabVIEW: VI version is too early to convert to the current LabVIEW version.  An error occurred while loading VI 'vi name here'.  LabVIEW load error code 10: VI version (10.0) is too old to convert to the current LabVIEW version (11.0)"

This is due to you mixing versions together. Uninstall the LabVIEW 2011 application builder and install the correct version.

And last, but not least:

I have a .vi that I would like to make into an application for use on machines without Labview.

Keep in mind that the target machines will require the Run-Time Engine. You can create an installer to automatically include this, or you can install the Run-Time Engine separately. The Run-Time Engine is free.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,365 Views)

You only need 1 app builder at any one time- The lasest one you install will be the only one on the machine.  The 2011 app builder will support vi's developed in earlier versions of LabVIEW (I believe back to at least 8.20)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,362 Views)

Thanks for the replies.  I currently use Labview 2010 Full, and simply assumed that the 2011 Application Builder would be compatible with Labvew 2010.  I'm glad to hear I can still get the 2010 Application Builder through NI - I may simply do that depending on what the boss wants to do.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,335 Views)